To Prune or Not to Prune ~ That is the Question

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
FigTree.jpg

This is my Brown Turkey Fig. It seems to be doing well, but I worried that the huge leaves growing at ground level are sucking all of the nutrients away from the rest of the tree. Here's my dilemma:

1. Should I prune the main leader off and let the large healthier appearing ones grow thus making a shorter, bushier tree that would be easier to harvest or;
2. Should I prune the big ones at the bottom off to provide more nutrients for the rest of the tree, or;
Is there a third option that I'm missing? :barnie

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are winter-hardy where you live.... I'd prune those suckers out and let it grow into a tree. You can do it either way...as a small tree or as a bush. They technically won't hurt anything, though if you choose to keep them, I would at least thin a few out for good sunlight and air circulation. Mine requires wrapping to make it through winter here, so it is kept pruned and small as a bush.

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Turns out there is a third option. I had to go to Lowe's (where I bought the tree), and I asked the "plant lady" on duty. She said to cut them off and put them in potting soil, keep them moist and they'll root. She claims they're real easy to root. Multiple trees for the price of one. I gotta love my Lowe's.

:bouquet

Latest posts