To Start Seeds Inside or Direct Sow?

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
TillinWithMyPeeps said:
What is your preffered method of propogation? Start inside or direct sow?

Are there any plants that need to be started inside?
There are many helpful Planting Guides out there... although I would use them as such ... a general guide.
Combine them with all the tips and experience shared by gardening friends and you are good to go ... :)
Your climate and growing season can make a huge difference.

I must start tomatoes and peppers early inside, or buy plants, or I will see snow before a crop ... :/
I start a few cucumbers early inside, and some direct, to get an earlier harvest.
I have not tried this, as I don't often grow corn, but some gardeners here pre-germinate corn (moist paper towel/ 80-90 degrees) ... or start inside 2-3 weeks early, for better germination rate and an earlier harvest.

Best of luck this season!! :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
HiDelight said:
my rule is

1. tiny seeds get started pots and start life under lights .. so I can make sure I know where they are!

2. big seeds direct sow because I know where they are

3. also any seed that requires a longer season of sunshine than we actually have here gets started in the house under lights to make sure it has a chance to bloom or fruit or both

4. I start seeds in the house to "play garden" and cheer myself up all the time ..even if I loose the plant ..the cost of a seed in a pot vs the cost of the loss of my sanity ..well you can see why I would choose the seed in a pot right? :thumbsup

this is all very scientific
Agreed! The ex-science teacher in me can smell the science in your method! :p

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
HiDelight said:
my rule is

1. tiny seeds get started pots and start life under lights .. so I can make sure I know where they are!

2. big seeds direct sow because I know where they are

3. also any seed that requires a longer season of sunshine than we actually have here gets started in the house under lights to make sure it has a chance to bloom or fruit or both

4. I start seeds in the house to "play garden" and cheer myself up all the time ..even if I loose the plant ..the cost of a seed in a pot vs the cost of the loss of my sanity ..well you can see why I would choose the seed in a pot right? :thumbsup

this is all very scientific
Agreed! The ex-science teacher in me can smell the science in your method! :p
I am going to totally agree with HiD. Smaller seeds seem to be more delicate than a huge bean. Beans/Squash/ watermelon I have never had a problem direct seeding. However, brocoli I have had problems with. And if I start them early enough and actually care for them I can know exactly how many I have and need room for.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I hate starting seeds in side, hate it. Love to direct sow.
I have to start some inside that you cannot direct sow but I am dragging my feet on it and should already have started.
It just seems that the trays are always in the way and the kids like to "look in" on them and stuff like that.
Maybe if I didn't have such a busy household I wouldn't mind but for some reason this year I just feel like its the dreaded chore.
Oh and I hate hardening them off, I can barely remember to bring the dogs in never mind a flat of seeds. :lol:
I don't know maybe winter is getting to me because I am really not enjoying brooding chicks right now either.
I think I just need to put on my big girl pants and find a better room for the seed thing where they aren't in my way and get on with it.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love to start seeds inside. Especially now with snow everyday and what seems to be a 6" minimum on the ground at all times. I don't spend a lot of money on lights etc. You can do it cheaper but it really depends on what you want to grow and if you like all the work. A lot of people buy their plants at the garden or farm store, it really up to you. Have 7 types of peppers and spanish onions started right now. YEAAAAAAAAH! Tomatoes in a couple of weeks.

Latest posts