Today's harvest

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hurray for summer! My garden is starting to get into the swing of things. I have been picking beans for a while now as well as most of my corn, but the rest of the garden is starting to pick up. I don't have a large garden by any means, but I'm happy with what I got today!

DSCN1929.jpg

The carrots are a bit early and came up when I was pulling the neighboring turnips. The two tiny potatoes are from one of my potato buckets that up and died on me last week. I decided I may as well empty the bucket and it had two little potatoes in it (they were a fingerling variety). Most of my tomatoes are just started to redden, but my cherries are doing fairly well already. I just wish my jalepenos would catch up to them so I could make more salsa :/ .

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
How lovely! There is nothing like beautiful, nutritious food from your own garden! All you turnip growers have inspired me for next year- they look delicious!

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Wow, so beautiful. I'm crazy jealous right now :) My poor bean plants are barely a foot tall, my cukes half that size, and I've got little button sized green tomatoes on my vines (although I have finally seen a Mortgage Lifter tomato yesterday, yay!).

As for my zukes, they're just barely thinking about producing, and the yellow pattypans are a mere 1/10th of the size of the rest.

I'm going to have a long way to go before I get a harvest as bountiful and as beautiful as yours is!

You've got almost all the ingredients there for a whole meal -- the tomatoes and cukes could make a salad with some lettuce added, the zukes, beans and carrots could get stir-fried with a bit of rice and some egg for protein, and you could mash the potatoes and turnips together :) Yum, yum!!!

Congratulations on a fabulous harvest day!

Whitewater

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tell us about your white carrots, please :p.

If they need more time to mature, that's okay. I'm very curious to know how they compare to orange carrots at maturity. So, please :), come back with that information when you can draw some conclusions.

This will be the first year in awhile that I haven't had parsnips. I wasn't happy with the flavor of the ones I grew last year. The usual sweetness is sometimes a little too much but an absence of sweetness was pitooie :/ !

I know it wasn't the growing season or something - the carrots were sweet, sweet, sweet. Cloyingly sweet parsnips or bitter parsnips - irksome . . . Are the white carrots in that lovely harvest, something special . . :) . . ?

Steve

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Did your potatoes die, or did the plant blossom then wilt away? If it just wilted, the taters are probably still growing--it's how they do it :)

PotterWatch said:
Hurray for summer! My garden is starting to get into the swing of things. I have been picking beans for a while now as well as most of my corn, but the rest of the garden is starting to pick up. I don't have a large garden by any means, but I'm happy with what I got today!

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h45/IanTavisMom/Gardening/DSCN1929.jpg

The carrots are a bit early and came up when I was pulling the neighboring turnips. The two tiny potatoes are from one of my potato buckets that up and died on me last week. I decided I may as well empty the bucket and it had two little potatoes in it (they were a fingerling variety). Most of my tomatoes are just started to redden, but my cherries are doing fairly well already. I just wish my jalepenos would catch up to them so I could make more salsa :/ .

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Tell us about your white carrots, please :p.

If they need more time to mature, that's okay. I'm very curious to know how they compare to orange carrots at maturity. So, please :), come back with that information when you can draw some conclusions.

This will be the first year in awhile that I haven't had parsnips. I wasn't happy with the flavor of the ones I grew last year. The usual sweetness is sometimes a little too much but an absence of sweetness was pitooie :/ !

I know it wasn't the growing season or something - the carrots were sweet, sweet, sweet. Cloyingly sweet parsnips or bitter parsnips - irksome . . . Are the white carrots in that lovely harvest, something special . . :) . . ?

Steve
Did you let the frost get your parsnips? I planted some this year (or should I say, wasted seed) as nothing came up. Love fried parsnips.

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I will let you know how all the carrots turn out when I get some decent ones. The white ones I have had from other growers in the past haven't been as sweet as the orange ones. I've never grown them before, so this is a trail run for me.

The potatoes died. We were on vacation for a couple weeks and forgot that the potatoes weren't on the automatic watering system like everything else. Some of them recovered but the ones in that particular bucket, well... they kicked the bucket.