Tomatillo Question

mydogdory

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hi! I got a tomatillo plant a couple weeks ago. I hear that they get really big and that they seed a lot. How do you manage them? Will they completely take over a garden? Can I trim them back so they aren't as uncontrollable? Thanks!!! :)

Dave2000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Where are you located? Assuming it's a small(ish) plant right now, it is a bit late in the season in many areas to get one to a large size.

Seeding a lot isn't much of a problem since you're picking the fruit off to eat, unless they're in a remote location you don't monitor. I wouldn't call them uncontrollable, just space a couple feet away from everything, or more if it were earlier in the season... some people like to have plants separate for picking and aeration and some people crowd them together, like anything else bushy.

I wouldn't expect to have to trim it unless it's really windy there and you want to keep it within the confines of a cage or tied to a stake.

mydogdory

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Where are you located? Assuming it's a small(ish) plant right now, it is a bit late in the season in many areas to get one to a large size.

Seeding a lot isn't much of a problem since you're picking the fruit off to eat, unless they're in a remote location you don't monitor. I wouldn't call them uncontrollable, just space a couple feet away from everything, or more if it were earlier in the season... some people like to have plants separate for picking and aeration and some people crowd them together, like anything else bushy.

I wouldn't expect to have to trim it unless it's really windy there and you want to keep it within the confines of a cage or tied to a stake.

I'm in Nampa Idaho. I think its zone 6...It still isn't very big, but has grown a lot since I've gotten it. It usually isn't windy. Once in a while, but not often. Thanks! :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nampa?!

Okay folks, @mydogdory gardens on another border, that being ID/OR :). What's that, about 300+ miles south, as the goats caper?

You know what? I thought you were from somewhere in the West ... by this picture of yours: (LINK) Gotta Douglas fir tree near your garden, @mydogdory ?

Okay, I know nothing about tomatillos! Dave is a good gardener.

:)Steve

mydogdory

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Nampa?!

Okay folks, @mydogdory gardens on another border, that being ID/OR :). What's that, about 300+ miles south, as the goats caper?

You know what? I thought you were from somewhere in the West ... by this picture of yours: (LINK) Gotta Douglas fir tree near your garden, @mydogdory ?

Okay, I know nothing about tomatillos! Dave is a good gardener.

:)Steve

Haha, I do!! There are three of them in my neighbors yard. They're right up against the fence near the garden. :)

Dave2000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Growth rate will slow once it is putting more energy into growing the fruit. I should mention that I try to never trim anything except topping plants later in the season if something gets too tall, if I run out of length on tomato stakes or don't want to get a ladder out to pick okra.

Then there's the other option, growing more plants trimmed the way you want them with each staying smaller. As long as you get fruit it's all good.

mydogdory

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Growth rate will slow once it is putting more energy into growing the fruit. I should mention that I try to never trim anything except topping plants later in the season if something gets too tall, if I run out of length on tomato stakes or don't want to get a ladder out to pick okra.

Then there's the other option, growing more plants trimmed the way you want them with each staying smaller. As long as you get fruit it's all good.

Okay, thanks! :D

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They do drop a lot of fruit, which can be a problem with the plants reseeding next year if you're not diligent about clean up in the fall! I didnt find it too much of a problem, they're easy to spot and weed out if you dont want the volunteers.

mydogdory

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
They do drop a lot of fruit, which can be a problem with the plants reseeding next year if you're not diligent about clean up in the fall! I didnt find it too much of a problem, they're easy to spot and weed out if you dont want the volunteers.
Okay, so I will make sure to pull extras like weeds! :)

Dave2000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just turn under stuff like that when I prep the garden bed, thinking a little extra fiber in my high clay soil is a good thing. Many seeds are also high in magnesium, I actually threw a few thousand okra seeds into a bed as a way to get rid of them in a productive way... then tramped over the sprouts when it was time to plant something else because okra won't survive well here until it stays warmer than it was at the time.

Latest posts