Tomatillos - update, very prolific fruit!

topotheridge

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I had a neighbor offer me tomatillo seeds a few years ago and she moved before spring and I never got them. I haven't found them locally so I ordered seeds from eBay and grew 9 very healthy looking plants. But, any experienced tomatillo growers know some answers to these questions, 1) do they need to be staked like tomatoes, 2) how do i know when they are ripe? I have bought them at the store, but never picked them myself. Thanks for any advice, they are full of beautiful bright blooms. I am new to this website, been on BYC for a few months and since I'm new to chickens my garden is less than what I like this year, but still managed to plant a few new things to try. Thanks for the help.:happy_flower

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I never had to stake mine. I just waited till the fruits were bursting from those papery sacks.Wash them off and they are good to go. I gave all my seeds to my mom so I have none this year. I really enjoyed eating them fresh.Did you get green or purple? I had green.

Watch those chickens.They will eat a few to see if they are good. I just caught them eating my budding grape vines!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome! Welcome! No need to stake them, they kind of just sprawl around. After they flower, the fruit will start to form, inside that "paper lantern". As the paper starts to turn brown- try a few. They should be ready.
Warning- they reseed and not always where you had them. So when spring comes keep an eye out for them.
Happy Gardening!

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
First off Welcome!:) Nine plants? You should plenty of fruit to experiment with. They don't need to be staked but you can if you want. They are ready when the husk starts to dry, but if you let them go a little longer until they have a tinge of yellow at the stem end they get sweet.

We had four plants last year for the first time and I was giving away fruit by the bushel! Now it's one plant in a container and few volunteers that can stay until they are a problem. I made lots of salsa with them, usually smoked them with tomatoes, onions and chilies. Enjoy!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The ones I've grown have never gotten tall enough to seriously need staking. I don't know how much there is in the way of different varieties out there, tho.

When to harvest depends on how ripe you want them. For salsas, me, I prefer them on the green side of yellow; as they mature and get more fully yellow, they turn sweeter and a bit more complex-flavored but also less tart and a bit more squooshy/mushy IME. I'd suggest just picking some at different stages so you can form your own opinions.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

topotheridge

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Great, my dad has been going to farmers market with berries and I kind of wondered about 9 plants, but had 100% germination, and with all the rain didn't realize til I finally got them in the ground that I could have given away half of them. The neighbor lady that moved told me she made an enormous amount of salsa that year just trying to use hers up from 3 plants. I will give away freely and let dad take them to farmers market! I will likely be surfing net for recipes it seems. I recognize Pat from BYC, couldn't sleep last night so surfed all of the related sites til late! Thanks for all the info.:coolsun

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Welcome topotheridge! I see your comments in your signature. I hope that your farming is successful. It sure is time consumming, but I wouldn't have it any other way. A wonderful way to raise children (and your husband)! ;)

topotheridge

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:hide. You should see the tomatillos on these plants, I am shocked, it looks like I decorated the garden with green Chinese lanterns! I will be giving away tomatillos to anyone who stands still long enough for me to hang a grocery bag on their arm. I am so excited, will have to look up canning recipes!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah, seriously, those plants go crazy huh!!! I planted them last year, couldnt really figure out what to do with them all. None taking up valuable real estate in my garden this year!!