Tomatillos, What to do with them?

RDRANCH

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We grew tomatillos for the first time to see if they would grow well here. Well they did great! There are only four plants, but there are dozens of friut on all of them.

They are starting to ripen and I was wondering how to use them. Does anybody out there have any recipes? :idunno

I was told that you only plant tomatillos once as the missed fruit will provided more than enough seeds for volunteers the following season!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The traditional use for tomatillos is in salsa and other Mexican recipes but any green tomato pickle or preserve recipe will work for them also.

RDRANCH

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks hoodat! We are going to pick up some roasted green chilis and experiment with dinner tonight.:)

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I occasionally make a green salsa from primarily Tomatillo's, and a bundle of fresh cilantro.. I just peel & wash a pound of Tomatillo's and halve them into a food processor. I then wash & trim the stems of the cilantro bunch and add it in as well. You can then add your favorite chilis (the original recipe called for 1 or more Serrano's) -- tailor to your heat level you prefer. Then whomp it up for several minutes to ensure it's finely chopped -- it should be soupy. You can thin it out with a little water if you like..

We usually add some salt as without salt it (to me anyway) taste's a bit too sweet and may also have a bitter note from the cilantro.

You can use it as a dip w/ chips or cook with it I suppose..

Holachicka

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
RickF said:
I occasionally make a green salsa from primarily Tomatillo's, and a bundle of fresh cilantro.. I just peel & wash a pound of Tomatillo's and halve them into a food processor. I then wash & trim the stems of the cilantro bunch and add it in as well. You can then add your favorite chilis (the original recipe called for 1 or more Serrano's) -- tailor to your heat level you prefer. Then whomp it up for several minutes to ensure it's finely chopped -- it should be soupy. You can thin it out with a little water if you like..

We usually add some salt as without salt it (to me anyway) taste's a bit too sweet and may also have a bitter note from the cilantro.

You can use it as a dip w/ chips or cook with it I suppose..
I do pretty much the same thing but throw the tomatillos under the broiler to blacken them a bit, and add some lime juice, YUMMY!

pharmerphil

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I can tell You what NOT to do with them...:D
Don't leave any mature tomatillos anywhere on, in or near your garden...We planted them in 2004, had a early frost, I hurried with clean up...This spring, I was still hoeing out volunteer tomatillo's:/

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome pharmerphil,

I just registered on your phorum.

TEG folks, you may want to check out pharmerphils website link as well....

pharmerphil

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
beavis said:
Welcome pharmerphil,

I just registered on your phorum.

TEG folks, you may want to check out pharmerphils website link as well....
why Thank You Beavis:)

RDRANCH

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
pharmerphil said:
I can tell You what NOT to do with them...:D
Don't leave any mature tomatillos anywhere on, in or near your garden...We planted them in 2004, had a early frost, I hurried with clean up...This spring, I was still hoeing out volunteer tomatillo's:/
While discussing gardening with one of my customers, she told me that you only plant them once!

What really impressed me about the plants is their size. It always amazes me how big plants can get from the tiniest of seeds. :)

Latest posts