Tomato Disease / Attack something?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My tomatoes went from looking healthy and gorgeous just 2 days ago.... today I have 1 that is practically DEAD.... and several others following behind it!!!

The stems are browning and blotching, some are even split open... the leaves are wilted with yellow and brown spots.

This is killing them quickly!!!

I'm uploading photos now... I've looked on line a bit and it looks like Early blit or Bacterial Canker to me.

How do I treat these?! Do I need to rip them up? i have dozens of tomatoes that were getting so close to ready, most the flowers have wilted or fallen off my plants already.

Even my pretty MONSTER brandywine is starting to show signs?!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh no vfem, i hope this problem doesnt get worse :hugs . Yeah maybe you could post pictures of the problem we can help. Your tomatoes were looking soo nice i hope their ok.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am panicing... I watered yesterday, and I saw a couple of brown leaves but NOTHING like this?!

dying_tomato1.jpg

dying_tomato2.jpg

dying_tomato3.jpg

dying_tomato4.jpg

dying_tomato5.jpg

There are more then brown and yellow leave spots... you can see the dark brown damage to the stems as well. I'm starting to see signs on more and more tomatoes.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Now I'm leaning to:
http://www.avrdc.org/photos/tomato_diseases/TSWV_02.jpg

Tomato spotted wilt virus... its the only one that reasonably shows the damage on the stem as well as the leaves.

Which is BAD because it is untreatable once the plant gets it!!!

I was really hoping it was a fungus and treatable.

I'm torn between treating for fungus anyways... or tearing out the obiously infected plants?!

Where's Pat? My saving grace and sanity?

Ok... too late, I have lost my sanity, I am going to treat this as early blight because it is the only thing I am comfortable with treating and not losing ALL my plants in the process. If someone needs to stop me and smack some send into me... feel free.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Definely is not an insect problem, its a disease for sure. Its looks like it might be Fusarium Wilt, your plants have the symptoms of the dark discoloration of the stems and the leaves yellowing. I can't find a cure for it, but i would probably remove the infected plants.
Good Luck i hope this problem doesnt worsen.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am just not having the best of luck with my garden so far. Especially after losing more then 1/2 my strawberries... I lost more to a gopher. A bunch of things had to be replanted as many as 3 times. I didn't get much at all from my peas... so I'm not in the happiest of moods today.

i picked up some Mancozeb fungal treatment at the garden center... all they could do is wish me luck.

I am getting ready to rip out my 2 sickest looking plants rather then even bother with them... and treat everyone else. Then I just have to wait and see I guess...

After the day I had yesterday, its taking all I got not to cry today!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
I am just not having the best of luck with my garden so far. Especially after losing more then 1/2 my strawberries... I lost more to a gopher. A bunch of things had to be replanted as many as 3 times. I didn't get much at all from my peas... so I'm not in the happiest of moods today.

i picked up some Mancozeb fungal treatment at the garden center... all they could do is wish me luck.

I am getting ready to rip out my 2 sickest looking plants rather then even bother with them... and treat everyone else. Then I just have to wait and see I guess...

After the day I had yesterday, its taking all I got not to cry today!
Hang in there, your garden will pull through i'm sure. Gardeners have bad days sometimes. Thats good that you picked up the fungus treatment i hope it helps your tomatoes out. I wonder what caused the disease outbreak, Where's Pat? i bet she knows!

Here's some sun: :coolsun :coolsun :coolsun :coolsun

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok... I did a treatment... and guess what... MY BASIL AND MY POTATOES HAVE IT TOO ALL OF A SUDDEN!!!! :barnie I am so not happy.

Anyways... I do know for SURE it is early blight!

early_blight_01.jpg

I have accounted for several dozen of those bullseye shaped leaf spots on leaves that were not completely dead yet. That includes on my potatoes as well.

I decided to treat my potatoes... but if they look worse in a few days (next treatment would be in 5 days) then I will harvest the new potatoes as is and call it quits with those.

My concern, is the truck load of 100% compost I purchased is the dirt I used for the tomato bed and the potato pot ONLY. No other plant that is succeptible is showing any signs what so ever.

I just can't believe this came on so quickly I missed the early signs of yellow leaves above the soil line. Though it is too late now...

I will not be saving seeds from my tomatoes this year... and I will replace the soil in those beds rather then chance it a second time next year.

At least the early blight is the most treatable of what it could have been.... the 3 worst things it could be.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Ok... I did a treatment... and guess what... MY BASIL AND MY POTATOES HAVE IT TOO ALL OF A SUDDEN!!!! :barnie I am so not happy.

Anyways... I do know for SURE it is early blight!

http://www.avrdc.org/photos/tomato_diseases/early_blight_01.jpg

I have accounted for several dozen of those bullseye shaped leaf spots on leaves that were not completely dead yet. That includes on my potatoes as well.

I decided to treat my potatoes... but if they look worse in a few days (next treatment would be in 5 days) then I will harvest the new potatoes as is and call it quits with those.

My concern, is the truck load of 100% compost I purchased is the dirt I used for the tomato bed and the potato pot ONLY. No other plant that is succeptible is showing any signs what so ever.

I just can't believe this came on so quickly I missed the early signs of yellow leaves above the soil line. Though it is too late now...

I will not be saving seeds from my tomatoes this year... and I will replace the soil in those beds rather then chance it a second time next year.

At least the early blight is the most treatable of what it could have been.... the 3 worst things it could be.
Oh boy its not a good day for you in the garden, it could of been worse. At least the disease is treatable. Make sure you burn those infected plants, many times i've had diseased plants and was always told to burn them NEVER keep in the compost.
I hope your plants will all recover and be back to normal !! ;)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I threw the 2 worst into the burn pile already.... just like I burned the diseased strawberries.

Thanks so much to listening to me flip.... everything is out of my hands now.

Hubby is grabbing a bag of some cheap mulch at Home Depot on his way home. I never mulched the tomato bed and that is my fault... it would be the one bed I didn't mulch wouldn't it?!c :p

Latest posts