Tomato harvest

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
It is one of the cruelties of nature that I can't have home-grown tomatos year round.

And mine are still refusing to ripe. I must have gotten some of those "determinate" types. I tried to get mostly indeterminate, though. But now I've lost my little plant stickers, and I can't remember which is which.

I also will pick them depending on my need. If I want one on a 'sammich' right then, it has to be optimum ripeness. Everything else is negotiable.

Cassandra
How are your night time temps? This may be the reason why they're not ripening.

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
Cassandra said:
It is one of the cruelties of nature that I can't have home-grown tomatos year round.

And mine are still refusing to ripe. I must have gotten some of those "determinate" types. I tried to get mostly indeterminate, though. But now I've lost my little plant stickers, and I can't remember which is which.

I also will pick them depending on my need. If I want one on a 'sammich' right then, it has to be optimum ripeness. Everything else is negotiable.

Cassandra
How are your night time temps? This may be the reason why they're not ripening.
I think mostly high 60's to mid 70's. Wouldn't shock me at all if they were getting hotted to death! :) I have been watering them a bit more than usual because I feel sorry for them. lol

Cassandra

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Careful not to over water in you sympathy for the tomatoes. ;) I actually like reducing water right before ripening just a little, but not to the point where it affects them negatively. It seems to give the tomatoes a sweeter flavor, IME.

If over night has been around 60 to 70's then they should ripen fine. If they are at the size they "should" be and then start to turn whitish yellow and don't move from there, then they may not be able to ripen on the vine. For whatever reason.

Be patient and keep with it.

Good luck!

Latest posts