Tomato seedlings are getting rowdy! pic added!

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
digit, our plants look just like your group photo, we want them to look like the first pic, as far as the lights go we are using 4' day light bulbs in shop lights. We were giving about 14-15 hours a day but DW has cut them back to what light we have daily she thinks it will slow the growth LOL. We have been running a fan on them about 6 hrs per day since they were sprouted so they are quite sturdy. They just seem like they need more room to branch out

Thistle, we planted so many to make sure we had enough for what we wanted to plant. I guess 8 times more than we wanted was overkill!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This Spring is turning out very much like last Spring. And, that ain't our fault!

I'm not sure when we should have planted our tomato seed. I'd planned on moving my 1st planting into 4" pots but now, it looks like they may well be getting out of hand, anyway! There's no way I can go to 8" pots!

Just to show that I was NOT completely out of my mind starting things too early - here are some others, comfortably in their 4-packs:
DSC00028.JPG

Of course, even these could still prove the contrary --- that I really am out of my mind!

Steve :p

ETA: plants are like children, Collector, they grow overnight . . . in the dark.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
When it comes to tomatoes, a little madness is encouraged. The payoff is worth it. Especially in the middle of summer when you are chowing on fresh salsa, tomato and bacon sandwiches, drying large flats of tomatoes, an researching spaghetti sauce recipes for canning.

Mmmmmmmm......tomatoes!!!!

(I only have about 4 times more seedlings than I have land for....no...no problem here....)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I took that song I posted on Dace's thread about her tomato seedlings . . . .

You can click the ♪ ♫ pic ♪ ♫ (of my tomatoes and corn last year :)). I hope Collector doesn't mind . . .

another cellphone photo and silliness from digitS'

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Collector said:
We planted our tomatoes on march 13th, we have been growing them under lights in our living room. Now they are about 8" tall and growing like weeds starting to get out of control. Does anybody have suggestions on what we should do with them at this point ie; move them out, transplant ect. We are having to raise the lights every other day now to keep them under!
So long as you don't hear,"Feed me Semour" you're OK. :lol:

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
This Spring is turning out very much like last Spring. And, that ain't our fault!

I'm not sure when we should have planted our tomato seed. I'd planned on moving my 1st planting into 4" pots but now, it looks like they may well be getting out of hand, anyway! There's no way I can go to 8" pots!

Just to show that I was NOT completely out of my mind starting things too early - here are some others, comfortably in their 4-packs:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_xQJzrL8scm4/TammbDYYj0I/AAAAAAAAApY/j0xOKP89uzo/s512/DSC00028.JPG

Of course, even these could still prove the contrary --- that I really am out of my mind!

Steve :p

ETA: plants are like children, Collector, they grow overnight . . . in the dark.
I love their great color. You must have gotten the soil just right!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks, 4grandbabies!

Those are Rainy's Maltese and they are actually a pink.

Here are some with something red hot:

. . . and some Sungolds. I couldn't wait for that Tigerella to ripen ;) or it would have made a more colorful picture.

The soil does seem to be fairly good for tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers, even the potatoes. It is probably the basalt in it. Now, the climate is a different story!

S'

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pot-up my tomatoes from their cell-packs into larger containers using bagged Miracle-gro (etc.) garden soil. I save up cottage cheese/large yogurt containers for this purpose and drill about 6 holes in the bottoms for drainage (you can drill through several at a time). After you pot them up they will really start to grow! I'll put mine out during the days to harden off (this time of year) then they're ready to transplant after my last frost date is passed.

ETA: Those pics are making my mouth water, Steve! Come on summer, get here already!!! :lol:

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, awesome video and a great song I DIGIT.
Well we potted up the maters they kind of look a little droopy at the moment. I am sure they will snap out of it by morning though ( I hope). The weather around here these days is pretty sketchy for putting them outside during the day unless they are watched.
I am thinking about building a cold frame to put them in during the day then take them in at night.
We are having alot of fun and much success starting from seed this year, we havnt had much luck in the past. We know it is from the advice that I have gotten from here.
So thank you all!!

ETA, I will try and get a pic up of one of them in its new home when I finish cleaning up my mess!

Latest posts