Tomato Seedlings Arrived!!

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Finally. It'll be 70*F today, and I've been getting antsy.

I started seeds last year, got all the varieties I wanted, and everything did great. This year I started seeds even earlier, after bodging together a plastic-shelf-greenhouse to go on my back porch in the sun.

Well, the greenhouse blew over, and I lost half my yogurt-cups-of-starter-with-seeds-in (most of which hadn't sprouted yet). The critical tomatoes were in a plug tray tho, so that was alright. Labels intact, seedlings rooty enough to prevent erosion by gravity.

So the shelves went back up, the seedlings went back in, and all was well.

Back in October 2011 I applied for a grant to fix some stuff on my house. In August 2012 I signed the contract with the State for the grant. I'd been talking to the contractor about this the whole time... needed a bid to get the grant, after all. So the contractor finally FINALLY starts my project on January 6, 2013. He's not done yet. :rolleyes:

And so, the seedlings moved inside to avoid lead paint dust and clumsy laborers. Where I didn't have any lights ready. And they stayed an inch tall until last week when they finally shriveled up into nothing. :( (I have dogs, and heavy rains, and so putting the greenhouse/shelves/seedlings anywhere else was just not feasible).

Knowing I wouldn't have the time to start more seedlings (Summer is Coming), I sucked it up and ordered transplants from Laurel's Heirlooms, they being the only source of the tomato plants I really wanted this year. And not Monsanto-y. Because that is important.

I ordered 8 plants. Shipping alone was $40. They'd better be huge, beautiful transplants when they get here.

I ordered:

Paul Robeson (2)
Marianna's Peace (2)
Green Zebra (2)
Isis Candy (1)
Dagma's Perfection (1)

It's possible I'll be looking at some substitution, so we'll see what actually arrives on Thursday.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Will the tomatoes be shipped in pots or bare-root? 30 years or so ago we used to sell bare-root cabbage and tomato plants at the garden center where I worked. They would come tied in a bunch of 25, I think. Wonder if anyone still does that?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Joz, here I am complaining about pocket lint this morning.

:hugs

One of the gov'ment's re-hab programs we always hear so much noise about. What we don't hear about is the October '11 to January '13 to April '13 and continuing.

I am Wishing You the Very Best of Luck with those plants!

Steve

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well, I wasn't exactly complaining, just describing my situation. :)

It's been a pain in the arse, no lie, but my house looks great and is almost finished. I'll start more seeds for fall as soon as the guys are done.

The grant is a State and Federal funded program to "Preserve the Historic Character of the MidCity Neighborhood", where a significant development has recently begun. http://www.nola.com/health/index.ssf/2013/01/construction_begun_at_the_vete.html I was at the very outermost edges of the zone of eligibility, but applied and was approved for a $20,000 grant to replace my overhead garage doors with historic outswing paneled doors, paint the whole thing, and get the rear porch re-done in a more historic fashion (proper columns and railings, and fix the bodged rafters). I can't complain about that either. :) And my contractor, while a slow slob, is doing quite fine work. I just have to put up with a giant mess in my backyard and it taking months. And losing 45 tomato and 20 pepper seedlings.

Re: the tomatoes:

I believe the plants are shipped in 4" or 5" pots? From her website:

"Plants are from 5" to 20" tall and ship in large heavyweight corrugated shipping cartons-- these cartons cost us from $1.00 to $3.00 apiece, wholesale. Plants weigh 1 to 1 pounds each; some are heavier. Each plant is carefully enclosed in its own individual custom designed No-Shift packaging container designed to get it to you safely. These containers are heavy, very sturdy and add weight to your package. A carton of 12 plants will weigh about 14 to 16 lbs.
"Depending on the size of your plants and your distance from Los Angeles, the cost will vary. Shipping costs range from $14.00 to $46.00 for, let's say 12 plants, in a 15" x 12"x 12"carton. Fewer plants, lesser charge. Longer distance and larger package, higher shipping cost.
"Our No-Shift custom packaging costs are $1.25 per plant which is in addition to plant cost."

I'm just excited that the snap peas, potatoes and garlic will finally have some company, and I'll be inspired to go into the garden more often. Tho now the potatoes are peeking up, they won't stand being ignored either. Soon as the house is finished and the contractor's tools are out of my garage we can get to the lawnmower and weedwacker again, and I'll be able to clean up a bit. The scaffolding that was blocking my trash-to-the-curb route is gone (finally), so all the bags can go.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Joz, that sounds great! Your house will be all fixed up like historical new and you will have beautiful tomatoes to plant in your garden. We want pics!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You'll be hysterical .

. . to be in a beautiful home with .

. . new heritage tomatoes!

Steve
or, just re-order those adjectives however you'd like :)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
...just seems like a local nursery should be having tomatoes like those.

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I wanted heirlooms so I can save seed this time, and I wanted Non-Monsanto. Organic. I felt like Laurel's was a more controlled situation.

Our spring garden show is this weekend... I probably should have waited for that. I do have 2 cages left, and if there's something intriguing (Homestead, Aunt Ruby's German Green) I may pick them up.

But I'm not a fan of the "Creole" tomato. Used to be any tomato grown in Louisiana dirt was a "Creole" tomato, but lately someone's come up with a "Creole" variety, which is a good 2/3 of what any of the nurseries hereabouts sell. And they're so-so. Dunno if it's a hybrid or not. My next door neighbor grows them in his garden.

And most of the nurseries are shipping in plants from elsewhere, so I've no idea from whence they've come. The one Organic We-Grew-It homestead-focused nursery I know of is difficult to get to... and I admit I didn't even think to see what they had (usually not much variety).

And, since the contractor/laborers tore my stairs off the back of my house (grrrr), I'll be re-building them and their integrated chicken run sooner than anticipated. :)

OH! AND! SOLAR PANELS! Which I'm leasing. Just installed yesterday. You can also see the fresh paint and the new garage doors. :)

7993_solar_panels.jpg

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks nice! Is yours one of those houses with two front doors? I have been in several houses like that, and they invariably have the front bedroom door blocked off now. I never could figure out why there was a door to outside on a bedroom, but I think the idea is charming. I used to imagine the "man of the house" slipping outside in the midnight moonlight to have a smoke. It's probably made that way for something much less fanciful than that.

Latest posts