Tomatoes 2020

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
figure roughly the size of the plant above ground is balanced by the roots below. this is not absolutely true because of different soil conditions, but normally a reasonable first estimate.
They're going to have to be potted due to my situation, so hoping this works. Thanks @flowerbug

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cherry tomatoes or ANY tomatoes seem to operate like Bonsai trees, and can produce without a lot of roots. HOWEVER, you will run out of soil in a tiny pot. If they sprout in your windowsill they will spread out their roots.
Consider leaving a tomato that you picked, and next year there are volunteers from the seeds. If you leave them alone they will grow together in pretty much the same place, happily.
I planted DD's one cherry in a pot with 1 ft of soil, about 14 inches high, about 15 inches diameter, and it has a basil friend.
I also planted a grape tomato in a similar sized pot, again, with a basil friend.
Both are sharing the dirt. I encourage them to water them as often as they can remember, and you will need to do the same in a windowsill.
Many people dig deep holes, like me. Others plants more sideways, like this:
Thanks @ducks4you in your opinion would that work for strawberries to?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The University of California says tomato plant roots grow to a depth of 18" to 48" but you are really asking about pot size, @Marie2020 . Of course, tomato variety would make a difference. There are some that were specifically developed for indoor, windowsill growing. Not many are like that ...

I don't grow much in pots but have had 3 or 4 tomato plants at the foot of my backsteps for several years now. I believe that I figured that they are in 6 gallon pots. Earlier plants were in 5 gallon pots and there were even some in small pots, previously. What I learned from this is that the plants did better and were more productive with each increase in pot size.

There is nothing about my varieties that are specific for growing in pots. And, the fact is, the plants of these varieties in the open garden are larger and more productive (just not as convenient ;)).

Steve

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The University of California says tomato plant roots grow to a depth of 18" to 48" but you are really asking about pot size, @Marie2020 . Of course, tomato variety would make a difference. There are some that were specifically developed for indoor, windowsill growing. Not many are like that ...

I don't grow much in pots but have had 3 or 4 tomato plants at the foot of my backsteps for several years now. I believe that I figured that they are in 6 gallon pots. Earlier plants were in 5 gallon pots and there were even some in small pots, previously. What I learned from this is that the plants did better and were more productive with each increase in pot size.

There is nothing about my varieties that are specific for growing in pots. And, the fact is, the plants of these varieties in the open garden are larger and more productive (just not as convenient ;)).

Steve
Thank you @digitS' . These are tiny tomatoes that usually are grown in her greenhouse. She acquired them from a family members pet rabbits they had eaten some tomatoes and noticed the rabbit poops were growing tomatoes, so she grabbed them and now get hundreds taking over her greenhouse.
I've planted some of these seeds in an egg box, fingers crossed something will grow. Tomorrow I'm going to try @ducks4you method of planting the whole tomatoes as well :)

I just love this site

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
They're going to have to be potted due to my situation, so hoping this works. Thanks @flowerbug

look for tomato varieties that will do ok in containers. i think they are commonly called patio tomatoes, but i'll leave it to the experts to talk about those as we've never done much in containers with tomatoes here. :) but good luck when you do it. :)

Latest posts