Tomatoes 2021

john

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
we are at the mercy of the greenhouse people that we get our starts from. so far they have done mostly ok for us. i'm still wishing for a return of the previous beefsteak varieties we used to get since they seemed to to better longer into the fall than the ones we've had the past few seasons but even with the earlier end of the season we've still had a good harvest. the plants look really beat up by the end of the season, but the harvest is still good and that is all i can ask for especially since we don't spray or do much fussing around with them other than weeding and watering.
I agree, water and till until the plants get too big. The birds get some the bugs get some and I get some we all share and still have some for the neighbors.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Tomatoes are NOT hard to grow. Box stores buy from ???
There can be weed seeds AND, possibly jumping worms (eggs) in the soil. I am pretty sure that I bought and brought home pathegens and unwated seeds.
I buried rotten tomatoes in 2020. I DID get 2021volunteers, but they sprouted late, and only 2 of them were replacements that gave me any fruit, if you were considering this.

Latest posts