Obilnyje Masłowa 4.jpg
Obilnyje Masłowa 5.jpg

Dyadya Stepa / Uncle Stevie

Diadia Stiopa 2.jpg
Diadia Stiopa 3.jpg

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does anyone plant a micro tomato? Looking at orange Hat. Are they all determinants?

Haven’t grown cherry or pear tomatoes in decades. What would be a good one to start over again with?

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Does anyone plant a micro tomato? Looking at orange Hat. Are they all determinants?

Haven’t grown cherry or pear tomatoes in decades. What would be a good one to start over again with?
I grew Micro Tom this past summer, and in past years I've regularly grown Hams Gelbe, Floragold Basket and Yellow Canary. I went through a 'mini' tomato phase in 2019 and grew Minibel, Rejina, Red Robin, Tiny Tim, Venus & Vilma. Not sure if any of them are determinates. IMHO Yellow Canary was probably the best tasting, along with Floragold Basket. But they're yellow :confused:.

After that year of micros & mini's I found, for the most part, the taste just isn't there. I thought that a really great cherry type was Gardener's Sweetheart, it grows on a regular sized tom plant though. It has a nice taste but the texture is what makes it great. It doesn't have a centre filled with tomato liquid. More smooth and meaty. The only cherry I've tried that was like that.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No cherries: Does this mean that you have been missing out on Sungold and Sun Sugar, @seedcorn ? Some people don't care for them, calling the flavor "cloying." I like them.

Years ago, I grew what was available and now considered an heirloom. Seedy little things but I wanted something to snack on while in the garden. Those golden cherries being introduced to the market was a special delight for me.

A few years ago, I began growing Yellow Jellybean. I'm even more happy with that one. It might be yellow but the fruit tastes more like a red tomato to me. Maybe it's just that they are quite different from the golden.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are any of them indeterminate? I hate determinant where you finally get fruit to watch them ripen all at once, then gone.....

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
All three I mentioned are indeterminates.
Are they a shorter plant or can get rank? I’d like something that plant wise is a bush but acts like an indeterminant. Would pot it and take it down for G’daughters who love tomatoes. Squirrels eat anything you can’t move inside to protect. Cherries or small pears would fit the bill except the ones I had would get rank.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No.

They are not in the micro group. I have had them in 5 gallon pots. However, Yellow Jellybean, especially, will shoot right past the tomato cages, I'll tie twine twice around 5' stakes, and they will droop down from those. Rank? Close to it.

@heirloomgal 's suggestions are the lead.

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are they a shorter plant or can get rank? I’d like something that plant wise is a bush but acts like an indeterminant. Would pot it and take it down for G’daughters who love tomatoes. Squirrels eat anything you can’t move inside to protect. Cherries or small pears would fit the bill except the ones I had would get rank.
You might like "Elfin". It is a determinate OP grape (unlike the rampant commercial hybrid). Not sugar-sweet, but meaty & thin-skinned - like mini-Romas, but with much smaller seeds. HUGE terminal flower clusters, and tomatoes 1" long or less (probably leaning toward "less" if pot grown). The plants can actually be grown within a large tomato cage, although they will overflow somewhat. I've never tried them in pots, but in the ground the plants put out new branches & continue to bear until frost. The Grandson likes to take them to school for snacks, if that tells you something. And because it is OP, you can save seeds!
20210717_110631.jpg

20200807_123104.jpg

Latest posts