Tomatoes for 2023

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i picked one larger tomato today and two smaller ones. the larger one had a bite taken out of it (by some creature - perhaps a raccoon) and that was all.

when cutting up the tomato it was half black rot inside - so i guess the critter that bit it may have been discouraged by that. i hope it discourages it from further biting... the two smaller ones we did not try yet.

now, it is not unusual at all for the first few tomatoes to have BER or strange things going on so i'm not at all surprised by this.

my brother was happy to take two bigger green and yellow tomatoes (ripening a little).

no tomato worms or damage seen yet of that type.

Last edited:

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Only the indeterminants are still chugging along out there. I am kinda glad I can see my kitchen table again. I got a tomato press and have grooved up to squeezing just enough for dinner. Tonight was Celebrity lasagna. I have learned to intercept the wife by actually listening to her when she starts saying things like "Some of these tomatoes need tossing out". Thats the cue to sharpen the knives and get out the big pot.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
SPedigrees, I was so disappointed in the size of Candyland that I think I threw away the rest of the seeds. Just too small for my taste.

Mary

But they're so cute! lol Actually though, I am going to plant an additional variety of tomatoes just to have some next year that are a bit bigger. These itsy-bitsy Candyland fruits will be a great salad addition. Their attraction for me could just be the novelty element. Time will tell.

I'm surprised that birds aren't picking them off the plants like berries!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A CASCADE of Large Red Cherries are coming off our plants. DW claimed that she wanted the LRC's again and I am surprised. They have a more tender skin, less seedy, and are certainly smaller than when we had them years ago. The size is okay and the tender skin and fewer seeds are appreciated!

Things change. One might not expect that from an heirloom, though! Later, I will post a picture.

Steve

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A tomato is nothing without its seeds. (Same goes for cucumbers and blackberries.) But I would welcome a more tender skin.
I have a tomato press. You are making me feel bad. All I do is remove both. I am amazed how bitter the skin and seeds are vs the pulp of the big red berries.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A tomato is nothing without its seeds. (Same goes for cucumbers and blackberries.)
zumm.png