Tomatoes splitting

chickflick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I read or heard somewhere why tomatoes split. Of course, now that I find my tomatoes splitting, I can't remember the reason. Does any one know?

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have always heard it is because of wet conditions. Has it been raining alot there?

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
According to my gardening club magazine, which I just got today coincidentally, "tomatoes crack and split when fruit grows too quickly during a period of rapidly changing weather conditions, such as high temps and drought followed by a rainy spell." It goes on to advise that you, "Always maintain consistent irrigation during dry spells and mulch plants to conserve moisture. Or try crack-resistant cultivars such as "Bragger" or "Roma"." FINALLY, I get to answer somebody ELSES problem. :lol:

chickflick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks, blurose andy coopy. We did have quite a few days of rain and then very hot days.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, tomatoes will crack due to inconsistent moisture. Mulch will help this out a lot. Severe pruning can also cause this. Basically anything that will stress the plant out.

Like the other posts said, yes there are some hybrid varieties that are more resistant to cracking if watering is an issue.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
THere are several type out the that are less apt to split under certain conditions. Some split easy other take a lot more. What kinds are you having problems with?

Latest posts