Tomato's sure slow to ripen this year?

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My plants are loaded with fruit, but I have only had a handful of ripe fruit off of them so far. starting to get me worried, as the night air is pretty cool, and we are getting many overcast days.
Other years, I would normally be picking a bowl full every day for the last two weeks. Odd that after such a long hot dry summer they are staying green for so long.:(

Any tricks or tips for me??:)

I seem to recall reading one time, that adding epson salts to their water would speed ripening. Anyone familiar with that? I'd be interested in the ratio of epson salts to water..if in fact this is a method to speed things up..

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know where to look for Growing Degree Day information for BC, Bill. Around here, it made it to just about normal . . . which is fairly pathetic and looks more like Wyoming than it should. Yeah, I could be gardening outside Yellowstone Park for all the accumulated warmth we get thru the season.

One problem with the idea that accumulated warmth makes a difference is that warmth late isn't quite the same as warmth early; then there are other variables. Anyway, my first large tomato was just over 2 weeks later than last year also - same variety.

I blamed it on a very cool and windy June.

As far as ripening now, I think if you can turn off the water it would be best for hastening the harvest. Stress in general might well do it. I've heard of gardeners root-pruning their tomatoes with a shovel to speed things up. Sustained high winds seems to do it for me. But, so might threatening them with a blow torch . . .

Steve

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Turning off the water..hmm you might have something there Steve!

The plants are all either in my greenhouse, or under the eves of my garden sheds, so they don't get any water naturally, and I have continued to water them. I do notice that since the on set of the cooler weather they don't need it as frequently, but the plants still go all limp if I leave them for a few days..Do you think the limpness should be a concern, or just let them go and see what happens?

All the fruit looks as if it's on the verge of ripening, starting to see more of a yellowing, but it's really been getting cold recently, and damp. I'm concerned I may get a late blight and all the fruit will be ruined..

I guess I could try the ripe banana in a bag trick, and see how they do, but I know there would be some flavor loss. Unless we get a few warmer sunny days, I may not have a choice.:(

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bill, the fruit (and the seeds within) are a priority for the plants.

I don't know about late blight but think that early blight and its kin can show up at anytime during the growing season. However, my problem with what I've seen as blight has been on susceptible varieties and on determinants, after their harvest "moment" has passed.

You might leave a plant and see what happens as it faces the end of its season with no more coddling. Ripening indoors works too and I always feel some relief when I have grabbed what I want and hustled indoors with it.

Vine-ripened fruit holds tremendous appeal to me :coolsun. If a plant cannot manage to give me some vine-ripened fruit after a season of care, I won't grow the variety again. I have even callously turned my back on plants covered with green fruit. I've walked away on a night with frost predicted because I never had the chance to learn what they tasted like under the summer sun.

:bun

Steve

pharmerphil

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Warm days Bills? You stated cool nights, that should be the idea ripening conditions, possibly too much nitrogen fertilizer?
we use epsom salts throughout the season, a tablespoon per plant height, but We use that to boost the magnesium level, and free up nutrients

Bills, how long do you expect before you get your 1st. frost?
It could be any day here in Minnesota...

Limiting the water will help.
If your time is short before frost, say a couple weeks, and you want them ripe,
try the old method called "spading"

it is a Drastic/last ditch method...but it works

simply take a tiling spade, or a shovel, and place it nest to the base of the plant on one side, plunge the shovel down, severing the roots on the ONE SIDE...
this makes the plant "sense" if you will; that the END IS NEAR, and ripens them within a few days

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The End is Near..:lol: Serve them right for trying my patience..

Thanks for the suggestions. As we are not likely to get a frost for several more weeks, I'll back off on the water, and see what happens. My Wife who is a Master Gardener, suggested cutting most of all the leaf branches off, and any tips that still have flowers or extremely immature tomats, I did this yesterday, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Several of the larger fruits are starting to show signs of yellowing.. so perhaps it won't be long now.

I'm just dieing for a vine ripened, tomato and mayo sandwich..:)

pharmerphil

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ah Vancouver, Bills you have longer than we do before a frost, it can happen anytime here after mid- September.
It's Foggy & 37 F. here this morning.

I too am a Master Gardener with the University of Minnesota Extension-Steele County...
Not active as I was years back, but still share the knowledge and work with other gardeners.
Cutting back the tips and any fruit that won't have time to mature is a good place to start, didn't realize you had several more weeks, "spading: as I directed should be saved for the last bunch that only have days to mature
One thing I might add though is; If you have alot of HOT direct sun though, watch your tomatoes for sunscald, which can result if too much foliage is removed...
happy gardening... :)

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Pharmerphil, all of my plants are in containers, except for the few volunteers in the garden. How would you spade container plants, simply stick a small spade down around the soil at the base of the stalk in a few places?

I will leave that job until I really start getting desperate. :)

I pulled a few larger green tomats yesterday and brought them inside the house, to see how they will ripen.. I want my sandwich:p..

pharmerphil

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
bills said:
Pharmerphil, all of my plants are in containers, except for the few volunteers in the garden. How would you spade container plants, simply stick a small spade down around the soil at the base of the stalk in a few places?

I will leave that job until I really start getting desperate. :)

I pulled a few larger green tomats yesterday and brought them inside the house, to see how they will ripen.. I want my sandwich:p..
Oh for sure Bills, it is a thing you do when you know that the season is near the end, as for them being in containers, I would think that Yes, a small trowel would do the trick.
In the meantime, fried green tomatoes are Mighty Tasty :D

Latest posts