Tommy Toe Tomatoes

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My husband has always fondly recalled eating Tommy Toe tomatoes from the garden when he was a boy. He grew up profoundly poor, the youngest of 4 children. He was 10 years old when the family moved to town and he saw electricity and running water for the first time in his young life. He was fascinated by the light switch, flipping it on-off-on-off, which earned him a whipping from his father. His father always had a garden and planted fruit trees in order to feed his family.

Over the years, my husband would talk about Tommy Toes and how good they were. I had never heard of them. I did searches and found that there was a tomato called Tommy Toe, but never found seed. Imagine my delight when Baker Creek had Tommy Toe seeds for this year. I made my order, but Tommy Toes were already sold out. I clicked on Notify Me and sure enough, I received an email that the elusive Tommy Toes were in stock, available, and I lost no time in ordering a packet of seeds.

He has eagerly watched the Tommy Toes grow, he picked the first ones and we had them on a salad. Yesterday, he saw a ripe one and picked it. He bit into it and smiled from ear to ear with a silly grin. For just a moment, there was a small boy in the garden, enjoying a fresh tomato from the garden.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh baymule, good for you for being kind and caring enough to want to find and grow those tomatoes for him! :love Imagine after all those years, you made his dream come true. Pat yourself on the back for this one.

Mary

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
You should be very proud of yourself. So how does it taste? Different?

Latest posts