Took a HUGE risk today!

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They are actually doing very well. Started putting up new growth and one even has some flowers blooming! There is a chance of frost this weekend, so, they're going to get covered. These are in a raised bed, so, the soil is very warm.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Good luck! I hope they make it!
We had one freak Spring where I could have put them out a month early. I chickened out, but I wish I would have taken the chance, at least with some of them. I'm just getting my seeds in the dirt.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have a frost advisory for tonight. :he

We have plenty of coverage, so I'm not super duper worried about it. They're still doing okay though! Been some high wind, so a couple of the little leaves have taken a beatin, but, overall doing great!

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My experience with planting tomato's slightly earlier than when ideal, has not been good.
In my best case scenario, they simply stopped growing, and remained basically stagnant until the weather had warmed up significantly. They were actually smaller than if I had just left them to plant outdoors later when it had warmed up.
In the worst case scenario, they developed blight, and died.

At the very least, I would plant them under some sort of makeshift cover, till all chance of frost is well past. It will protect them from the dew as well.

It is frustrating when any veggie seedlings start getting leggy like that. I think that it has to do with a combination of the lighting, and perhaps lack of air movement around them. A low speed fan may help toughen them up a bit and become more thick stalked, whereas the ideal light spectrum and brightness, can prevent them seeking more light. Natural daylight seems ideal..if it's available..lol

Latest posts