Topic idea

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A way to use 100lbs of extra zucchini would be great... Still have like 10 gallon sized bags... :barnie

Oh well... it will be spread out over the next 6 months... then we can appreciate fresh zucch... and then dislike eating it all over again.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
Well, it's not about harvesting, it's about preserving what we harvest. Do we really need a forum that tells us how to pluck an ear of corn, or gather green beans (that's harvesting) ;)

(sorry, I'm being a brat) :coolsun
Well, you aren't goin' to get my stir-fry recipes if it's just about preserving. In fact, other than tossing stuff in the freezer, the only "preserving" I do is making apple butter and sometimes pear.

For a guy who spends so much time schlepping buckets and baskets out of the garden, you might think there'd be more than this giant basket of oranges and bananas in the kitchen right now :p. . . Well, I'm planning on finding a few carrots out under the leaf pile and bringing an onion up from the basement for a lunchtime casserole but it's hard to call that approach "preserving." Still, my carrot casserole isn't so bad :D.

Might want to call all these extra pounds around my middle this Winter - "preserving." :rolleyes:

Steve

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
I think this is a pretty good idea. I'd like to see some more threads / topics on this that we could move into a new section.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oooh here's my chance :weee!!! Before everyone goes off into the Province of Preservation.

Carrot Casserole

1 lb lean ground beef
2 yellow onions, diced
1 lb carrots (about 8), diced
1/2 bell pepper, diced
1 can condensed tomato soup

4 large russet potatoes for baking

Brown ground beef and onions in a skillet, drain.

In a 2 quart casserole, layer ingredients and top with tomato soup.

Bake in 350 oven for 1 1/2 hours or until the carrots are tender, stirring twice while it cooks. Bake potatoes at the same time.

To serve: Cut open baked potatoes and spoon carrot casserole mix on top.

(I'll put something about stir-fry on a separate thread and share my apple & pear butter recipe at a later time. :)

Steve

cknmom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
How about -What to do with the harvest? That way it could include all ways of preserving and recipes and whatever else.
Monica

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
cknmom said:
How about -What to do with the harvest? That way it could include all ways of preserving and recipes and whatever else.
Monica
This has been requested many times, by many people (including me!). How's about it, Rob? :weight

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Worth a try I guess, how exactly should we name it so it encompases the most topics as possible?

Latest posts