Tornado? Missouri?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
No basement, wish it was a normal thing in the south, but it isn't. We got 4 1/4" of rain last night.

good thing for that hill on the sand! :)

for us we have an interior utility room which is right next to the central stone fireplace. just wrap up in a blanket and hunker down.

another spot i could squeeze into in a instant is under the fireplace slab. if i could wedge myself in there i'd be pretty safe.

my problem is that i just don't know things until it is too late. i like storms and watch the radar, but not all the time and not when i'm sleeping...

i've been through several near misses so it isn't something i'd like to repeat.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
For everyone who doesn't have a basement or cellar, have you checked into the pre-fab storm cellars? You can put them in the garage or anywhere --close to the house, at least. One of my relatives used to sell them; they weren't cost prohibitive.
I'm talking to you, @baymule.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't mean to be facetious, however .

.. wouldn't a nice, new above-ground septic tank work okay and cost very little?

Before they moved, I used to live near a concrete pipe company. I'd drive by and see these monstrous pipes - tees and crosses. I'd imagine myself as 4 1/2 feet tall with some nice doors and windows :).

Hobbit Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
A
I don't mean to be facetious, however .

.. wouldn't a nice, new above-ground septic tank work okay and cost very little?

Before they moved, I used to live near a concrete pipe company. I'd drive by and see these monstrous pipes - tees and crosses. I'd imagine myself as 4 1/2 feet tall with some nice doors and windows :).

Hobbit Steve

Aren't septic tanks plastic?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
"A septic tank is an underground chamber made of concrete, fiberglass or plastic through which domestic wastewater (sewage) flows for basic treatment."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septic_tank

At our old house the septic tank was a hulking two chamber cement affair. I got to meet it in person when we refinanced and it had to be inspected. The one we have here is plastic.

I've always thought a septic tank (new) would make a great cistern.

Latest posts