torrential hail downpour today!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow, we just got POUNDED by hail today. Like I have never experienced before. It came down for about 20 minutes or so, around 4:00 pm, and there are STILL drifts of hail laying outside, 6 hours later. Here's some pictures!

Our driveway was a river and swirling lake at the bottom. Luckily it didn't last long enough to cut very deep channels down the driveway, just a little washout, easily fixed.
IMG_3406.JPG

IMG_3407.JPG

IMG_3409.JPG

IMG_3410.JPG

My poor petunias and basil just are anhilated - those pots were just loaded with red and white blooms - I think they'll live, and the petunias might regrow okay for a fall bloom...
IMG_3421.JPG

IMG_3422.JPG

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It was a super local event - I drove to work tonight, and probably 2 minutes down the road, no sign of anything - no rain, no hail, NOTHING! Lucky us! :/

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good grief. There's so much it looks like snow. :confused: Were the patio plants all that were damaged?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The 30 minutes of rain last Friday may have been the heaviest I have experienced here. I know that there was a cloud burst like about 1996 that convinced me that I had to do something to keep water from flowing right across my side yard lawn and into the carport. It must be over 80' for water to flow over this gravel we call "soil!"

Not much water went into the carport Friday. I must have engineered the brickwork right ...

Meanwhile, except for spotter reports, the Weather Service all but missed this event. Or, the storm all but missed their stations!

Heather, I guess this shows that you can expect these once every 20 years or once every 50 year events. I've felt that it's a shame that some Colorado gardeners feel that they have to put "hail cages" over the top of their tomatoes. Shoot.

Keep the Faith.

Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
When we get hail like that, there is usually a tornado somewhere very close. I'm VERY glad that there was so little damage!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, that looks terrible! Since you didn't mention the house I'm guessing that the landscaping kept the water out where it belonged? Still, your driveway looks a lot like the gully out back after a deluge. Lots of moving water and traveling soil.

As bad as the hail damage may look, your plants should recover. They may even look better and flower more profusely for having this scare to their growth patterns.

Why, oh why can't the rain fall equally and sufficiently in all of our gardens?

Latest posts