Totally worth staying up so late

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
This year's Perseid's were the best I've ever seen, and I try to watch them every year if I can. The sky was almost perfectly clear and so dark. I was seeing meteors one right after another; seldom more than 20 seconds apart. For the hour I was out there, I must have seen well over 100 and some were really long, bright ones too. DH and the kids are in bed. It was quite peaceful except for my cat fervently wooling me to death. Did you stay up and watch 'em? :)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I tried. They were just getting started about 10:30 and I only made it till about 11:30 but you're right, they were incredible!
So BIG!
So fast!
So weirdly silent. It just seems that something that appears out of nowhere, is so big and moves so fast should make SOME sort of sound.
:)

I'm going to be at the produce auction tonight till about 11:00 so will sit out a little while again when I get home.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I watched till about 11:30, and it was just getting more intense at that time. Unfortunately, my old body was telling me it was time to go to bed.
It was very clear, and as Journey said, no moon.
We still have one clear area in our yard that no dusk-to-dawn lights hit, so we were able to lie on a tarp and not ruin our necks. Nice.
Nothing like a meteor shower to bring you back to an understanding of your insignificance in the universe.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nope! Forgot! Anyway, when I do watch them it is usually that I get up early. I read/saw somewhere that sightings are better after midnight. I've gotten up and gone for a walk at 3:30 a.m. to that beautiful sight dancing across the sky.

Right, journey11! It is especially cool to watch them when all is peaceful.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't even know...maybe we should set the cots up and sleep outside tonight. I'm always waking up anyway, it would make it worthwhile to see a fine shower.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Awww man! I went out around 3:30ish and reclined in my favorite lounge chair for 45 minutes. Lots of beautiful stars and only three shooting stars in 45 minutes. Bummer. We have very dark nights out here in the boonies but I guess we must have been using our comet dust repellant last night. One good thing about my efforts was that I had a warm jacket on and I fell sound asleep for several hours. I guess the coyotes, skunks, 'coons, and others-of-the-night didn't want me. I'm so rejected . . . boo hoo.

Latest posts