Totally worth staying up so late

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
z4ow9fD.jpg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I watched till about 11:30, and it was just getting more intense at that time. Unfortunately, my old body was telling me it was time to go to bed.
It was very clear, and as Journey said, no moon.
We still have one clear area in our yard that no dusk-to-dawn lights hit, so we were able to lie on a tarp and not ruin our necks. Nice.
Nothing like a meteor shower to bring you back to an understanding of your insignificance in the universe.

I wish I had thought to set out a tarp or something. I had a camp chair, but I really needed to be laying flat on my back to catch it all (they were all over the sky, for the most part, except for the southern horizon). My neck is killing me today!

Nope! Forgot! Anyway, when I do watch them it is usually that I get up early. I read/saw somewhere that sightings are better after midnight. I've gotten up and gone for a walk at 3:30 a.m. to that beautiful sight dancing across the sky.

Right, journey11! It is especially cool to watch them when all is peaceful.

I think that would have been wiser, getting up early rather than staying up late. I should have gone to bed early, got up for a bit around 2am or so (although I heard varying reports, peak was said to be around 4am), then maybe gone back to bed for a bit. Pretty tired today, but it was worth it.

Is it still going tonight?

Yes, but they may be harder to see as the new moon comes in. I'm not sure what the best times are to watch the next couple of nights. We're going out to my BIL's farm for a bonfire and to try to watch some more on Friday night. Hopefully the moon won't rise early and hopefully there won't be any clouds.

Awww man! I went out around 3:30ish and reclined in my favorite lounge chair for 45 minutes. Lots of beautiful stars and only three shooting stars in 45 minutes. Bummer. We have very dark nights out here in the boonies but I guess we must have been using our comet dust repellant last night. One good thing about my efforts was that I had a warm jacket on and I fell sound asleep for several hours. I guess the coyotes, skunks, 'coons, and others-of-the-night didn't want me. I'm so rejected . . . boo hoo.

That's odd, since it looks like according to Thistle's map you should have been in a good location to see them. They say it can take up to 20 minutes for your eyes to adjust to the dark too. LOL, I worried about something crawling out from under the barn to get me too. Maybe my cat scared them away. ;)

Latest posts