TPS Growing potatoes from seed

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
So a regular potato plant won't make seeds or ones that are viable?

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I will do a taste testing later, for now I was really excited to see the flesh colour. These four will go in today's kale and mash along with smoked sausage, a very typical Dutch winter meal. A bit early in the year but I'm craving it! :drool

I will keep some as seed potatoes, but not from every kind. The ones that did poorly I might discard along with one that has deep eyes. Also the colour of the pink one is not of my liking, but if it tastes great ... maybe.

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have saved a mix of TPS potatoes that were planted in a bad spot, just to see what they do. Not sure if i will sow new seeds this year, because i'm short in time with moving and a lot of home diy work.

Regular potatoes are: Casa Blanca, Sarpo Mira, Carolus, Alouette, Bleue de la Manche and Bergerac.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have saved a mix of TPS potatoes that were planted in a bad spot, just to see what they do. Not sure if i will sow new seeds this year, because i'm short in time with moving and a lot of home diy work.

Regular potatoes are: Casa Blanca, Sarpo Mira, Carolus, Alouette, Bleue de la Manche and Bergerac.

yeah, moving is quite a disruption. i hope you do find enough time for some gardening. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is a problem with being stuck in the US ;). Import of seed potatoes is so limited ... I guess that even the Big Boys don't seem to have even the more common potatoes from outside the borders.

Years ago, I grew Alamadine potatoes. It's still available in Europe. Great! I wonder if someone was in trouble for having and selling them. Clones and not seeds, I guess that is the trouble with import. Maybe there were drones over the garden (or, black helicopters @jackb ;))

I'd like an early fingerling but the French fingerling photo doesn't appeal I just can't bring myself to grow one called LaRatte. Unbelievable fingerling name choice! Maybe, I should have my own variety from a pollen cross and call it

digitS'

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is a problem with being stuck in the US ;). Import of seed potatoes is so limited ... I guess that even the Big Boys don't seem to have even the more common potatoes from outside the borders.

Years ago, I grew Alamadine potatoes. It's still available in Europe. Great! I wonder if someone was in trouble for having and selling them. Clones and not seeds, I guess that is the trouble with import. Maybe there were drones over the garden (or, black helicopters @jackb ;))

I'd like an early fingerling but the French fingerling photo doesn't appeal I just can't bring myself to grow one called LaRatte. Unbelievable fingerling name choice! Maybe, I should have my own variety from a pollen cross and call it

digitS'

why not? :) i can't believe that you can't find more different kinds of potatoes. that seemed to be popular about 10yrs ago. are there potato import restrictions into Idaho?

Latest posts