Transplant?

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Woo! I didn't realize that picture was so wonky!! LOL It's right along the side of the house, so, it will get some shade during the morning and early afternoon, but full sun the rest of the day. I can't wait to see if they bloom this year!

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I do love it! :D

We bought mulch from Lowes this year... and it's "color guaranteed" for 12 months.. but the stuff we laid last week is already faded :\

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love iris's. They are some of the easiest flowers to grow.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love them too! I just hope the ones that I transplanted put up blooms! Either way, they're planted now and will EVENTUALLY bloom.. LOL They had to be moved so I could put the border in. Hubby asked why I wanted to move them, and I said that our neighbor had given them to me before she moved back to the Philippines and I wanted to save them FOREVER!!!!!!!! He just gave me a weird look. LOL

I have HUGE dreams for whenever we get our forever home of having big flower beds all over... but I also know that means that I'll have lots of weeding to do as well.... :p

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't weed the iris's. They usually crowd out everything else....and eventually themselves. :lol:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't eat iris so I have no problem killing the grasses that creep into my iris bed. For the rest of the weeds, I pull them out or brush a bit of ROUND-UP on the leaves.

Iris are hard to kill even if you try. While you might miss out on a few flowers by transplanting them before they bloom -- and late summer is their ideal moving time -- they can be moved any time and do well.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Natcho- Too late for your question. Next time, to avoid flower loss, wait until after bloom to transplant. Another option is to take a knife and cut off a few tubers and leave the rest of the plant in the ground. The are hard to kill so can be transplanted pretty much any time. Your zone gets very hot so maybe the dead of summer would put them at risk.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've just tossed some excess iris on the ground in the heat of summer and many managed to take root and grow. They are amazingly tough. Transplanting them now will probably reduce how many flowers you get, though I expect you to get some. Next year should be amazing.

Latest posts