Transplanting a silver maple...when is ideal?

snewman

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have three silver maples that I planted a couple of years ago as very small seedlings. I planted them temporarily in a small area that I could easily water (I'd had bad luck with putting such small things in their forever spots, then forgetting about them, my husband mowing over them, etc). Now they're pretty big and need to be separated and moved. When is the best time to do this? Do I need to wait until they are fully dormant this fall, or can I do it now, when they've still got some leaves. I'm in Wisconsin, so they're rapidly losing the leaves and we'll have a frost any day now. How much of the root mass do they have to have in order to survive the move? They're really becoming pretty nice trees and I'd hate to lose them after all this time. They're about 7-8 feet tall now.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How fun,

It sounds delightful with the chill in the air and the smell of the new season coming!

This is definitely nearing the perfect time. I would think now the trees are starting to pull the sap into the roots.

There is a good chance you will cut some roots when it comes time to move them. You can always spade right now around each tree (creating the rootball you can handle), this way you are doing the first initial shock while the tree is still in place. Don't pull them from the hole just spade the rootball in place.

Then prepare your new spots. Once the leaves drop then you know the sap is moving down into the roots. Then simply break free any under portion of the rootball and move the tree. It will not notice the shock of the move since it already was cut 'in place' prior to moving.

Wow, did that make any sense at all? LOL :caf

Ron

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It has been my experience that silver maples are pretty hard to kill. :rolleyes:

snewman

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Excellent advice, thank you very much. I'll get them prepared for their big day and then sit back and wait for the leaves to fall. Thanks again!

colin

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hello

1) Check to see that your cuttings are ready for transplant by checking the root length. You can do this by pulling up one of the cuttings and looking at the roots. Gently reinsert the cutting if the roots are not at least one inch long.
2) Fill the container with a mixture of potting soil organic compost, and sand or perlite for drainage.
3) Gently remove rooted cuttings from soil. The roots should be at least an inch long. Do not pull them out quickly, but instead insert a broad, flat object such as a butter knife into the root medium and loosen the roots.
4) Dig a hole in the new pot, insert the plant and gently pat down the soil around the base. The soil should be relatively loose.
5) Water the newly potted plant thoroughly and maintain a certain level of humidity for the first week or so to mitigate any replanting trauma. You can do this by keeping a clear plastic bag over the plant.
6) Keep plant in indirect sunlight. Keep a close eye on it and give it close attention for the first four weeks in its new pot.

Thanks for reading

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG Colin.

Good suggestions there but I think you misunderstood the post.
The trees are 7' to 8' ( 1.5 Meters) seedlings.

Nice to have another member with propagation experience!

Take care;
Joe

Latest posts