Transplanting bougainvillea questions

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
There is a 60+ year old bougainvillea growing outside my grandparents house in Glendale, AZ. For sentimental reasons I want to dig it up and move it to Roseburg, OR. I have checked with the CA dept of AG and was told that I could bring it across the border if it wasn't contained in its original soil. What I want to know is when is the ideal time to dig it up to move it to OR? I live in zone 8 and know the ideal time to plant it here, but I don't have any idea when the plant would be "dormant" in AZ. Also, how far back can I cut it without losing it? I know that it was blooming profusely in December in AZ. My grandparents and uncle are all dead now and the property will be sold, the house demolished. My grandmother had only one plant that she considered beauty around her otherwise depressingly drab little house and it was this bougainvillea. Also, my mom, who lives in Klamath Falls, OR, would like to have part of it, but we are certain it wouldn't survive outside there. Wild roses and rhododendrons grow in the forests around my house, so I'm thinking that a bougainvillea will do alright outside here. How well will the bougainvillea do in a container in her house?

Latest posts