Transplanting broccoli ?'s

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have decided it is time to move the plants up to bigger pots, Is it ok to bury the plants up the stem a ways. They got sorta leggy cause they were not close enough to the light!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is a good question.

. . . and, I don't think so. Someone else may have other experiences to draw from. Me, I'm afraid to even set my peppers & eggplant much below the original soil surface . . . only bury the tomatoes.

On a positive note, I've had quite leggy broccoli and cabbage to set out in the garden. They have grown nicely and been respectable plants.

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Collector, what are your temps like now? I think I would skip the transplanting and start hardening them off. Maybe get them in the garden next weekend?? I have never buried any stem, except tomatoes. Not sure of the outcome on broccoli. Maybe you can experiment with one or two (if you have extras?)

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
All of them are not super long stemmed, maybe about 25%. As for hardening them off the weather is not really cooperating, today it is sunny but windy so it chilly outside. I am hoping the weather starts to get better soon so we can start putting things out during the day.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Uh oh Collector, now I'm worried, I put my cabbage and tomatoes outside for a little hardening today. Just for 30 minutes on the Toms, and an hour on the cabbage. Not sure how I'm going to work it during the week, when I'm not home...
I did put them out briefly (30 mins ) yesterday tho, and they didn't go on strike, so maybe I'm ok.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa said:
Collector, what are your temps like now? . . .
You know, it isn't every day that you can make someone in upstate New York smile about a cool weather comparison . . .

I'm afraid, Lesa, that the weather around here isn't too warm. It is midday: 44F with wind at 13mph and gusts to 23.

Still, I've gotta start getting the cool-weather things out in the yard so that there will be room in the unheated tunnel thru the day for the tomatoes . . . :rolleyes:. Then, I'll have to move the tomatoes back on the floor of the greenhouse overnight, so that I can get the broccoli and such back into the tunnel at night . . . :rolleyes: (Maybe, I'll just put them in the garage :rolleyes:. And, leave them there . . .)

Steve
who is going to start giving temperature readings from the Kelvin scale: Lesa, it's 280 Kelvin :cool:!

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We usually plant broccoli at the original soil line on the plant, or only slightly higher, maybe 1/4" more.

Cabbage though - I bury it up to almost the bottom of first leaf cluster if it's "leggy" at all. Tomatoes - I always plant deep.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, Steve, I suppose it does my heart good to know someone has worse weather than I do!! Kelvin scale sounds much better! Now, 280 degrees sounds a little too hot!!! Can't we have a happy medium! Hoping and wishing for reasonable spring weather!!!!

bootstrap

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I agree, put the broccoli no deeper than the original surface. Peppers can and should be planted as deep as the first two or the cotyledon leaves.

Latest posts