transplanting raspberries

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The winter of 2011 I had winter kill in my raspberries. All last summer I toyed with the idea of "transplanting" the raspberry runners that are coming up in my yard and in the garden boxes next to the raspberry bed back to where they belong--in the raspberry bed. Will this work? I saw on another thread that transplanting from a neighbors raspberry patch might introduce bacteria, but do I have to worry about that from neighboring beds?

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I brought up some tiny raspberry suckers from my friend's garden and stuffed them in a spot. I have since used what they have sent up to plant an entire bed of raspberries and am moving new ones from there all over the place! They are pretty easy to propagate and move. None of mine had any kind of disease

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
They can sometimes be overwhelming and in such numbers you might want winter to kill them! LOL! I have 1 black raspberry that sends up so many that I have given up on trying to tame or rid myself. They are very easy to relocate, and you may want to get a nice big pot on wheels that you can keep somewhere and just roll it back out in the spring. I have 6 in pots because I am just reluctant to put them in the ground for fear they will be bonkers again.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
cityfarmer said:
The winter of 2011 I had winter kill in my raspberries. All last summer I toyed with the idea of "transplanting" the raspberry runners that are coming up in my yard and in the garden boxes next to the raspberry bed back to where they belong--in the raspberry bed. Will this work? I saw on another thread that transplanting from a neighbors raspberry patch might introduce bacteria, but do I have to worry about that from neighboring beds?
I would not worry about disease spread. I have never had any problem of any kind on my berries. Transplanting the runners is east and you don't need to worry bout being careful-they are hard to kill. What you see as dead may be just the natural course. The canes that bore fruit die and need to be cut down. They should send up new sprouts which will fruit next year.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our raspberry plants came from a neihbors house about 12 miles from here. We mixed them in with some we already had and did not have any trouble. Good thing cause I never thought to worry about it!

Latest posts