transplanting rose bushes

bennett

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
k so the plan had been to make cuttings off an heirloom rose bush for my MIL. now that i have seen said bush, its not nearly as big as they lead me to believe it was so i'd rather just dig it up and plant in my yard (where i can care for it) and make a cutting for my MIL off of it that way.

that said - what is the best way to do this so that there is minimal trauma to the plant? its been in the family going on four generations now and the last thing i want to do is kill it.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would recommend trying to do root cuttings from this point until this coming fall. If none of the cuttings take over the summer months then I would take some dormant branches and try rooting them in potting soil (outside) during the winter. The success is higher during winter because there is no need to support leaf or bloom.

Then, when you have assured success with a cutting, then I would wait until the plant goes into a winter stasis (some roses never do go completely topside dormant), this would be during the Fall; I would then use your shovel to cut the rootball in place. Let the plant sit for a week or two with the rootball cut, sitting in the soil and place it stands now. As shocking as getting roots cut, it is equally as shocking to find yourself in a new spot; so cutting roots and then moving later is a wiser move. Then when the initial shock of having the roots cut is past two weeks simply pull the bush up and deliver it to its new spot. This will reduce all the trauma.

Several "Rules of Thumb" apply here. Winter dormancy is a perfect time to move older bushes, shrubs, and trees. A plant (trees and shrubs, and perennials) will create 90% of its newest root growth during the winter months, while not having to expend any energy or nutrition to the leafing process. So in essence, dormancy is not really asleep. Ensure you have a cutting that is rooted prior to moving the parent plant, and reduce any and all trauma as much as possible.

Wishing you luck. I didn't catch the full story on this rose. Was there a color or a name on it ? Any pictures?

Ron

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am sure Greensage is correct. However, I will tell you my experiences of transplanting roses. I had a beautiful rose that ended up being covered with my wisteria. Had to move it. Dug it up, stuck it in a hole with some peat moss, watered it and it grew and blossomed like crazy! Also, have a very old (50+ year old) climbing rose. It sent up a shoot- I shoveled it out of the ground, threw it in a hole and it blossomed the first year! It is true, you can kill things- I am sure we have all done it- but nature is amazing. Better to try and move the bush, then have the new owners pull it out or kill it....Good luck! Keep us posted!

bennett

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
its white, but i'm not sure what kind exactly it is. i know its been in the family for four generations. my husband's grandmother died last year and her property (12 acres) and being auctioned off this weekend.
i tilled up the spot where i want to move it last night and i'm going to add potting soil to it and do it again today so that the spot is ready for tomorrow when we move it.

i know you said to wait until the fall, but with the property being sold, we have to move it now while we can. i'll post a photo of it tomorrow - before we move it.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Move it. Get as much root mass as you can, keep the soil around the roots. Don't use potting soil, get some nice compost, or well rotted manure, and add some bone meal or a good rose fertilizer to the soil - I like Espoma Rosetone. Keep it well watered and it should do fine. You can't let that land get sold without moving an heirloom like that, I hope it all works out well!

bennett

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
i got my first good look at it today - there are two bushes planted very close together and they are about five feet high. since there are two i told my husband that it WILL get moved tomorrow and replanted (i have a spot all picked out already) . i have some photos of it but haven't downloaded them yet.

his uncle is the one that doesn't want anything to leave the property and at this point he can bite me. the few things my husband asked for from the estate he was told he could BUY when they have the auction this weekend.

i can't wait to get it planted tomorrow tho - i planted a 'garden' this morning with only plants that came from his grandmother's. i can't wait to add the roses to it.

bennett

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
we worked on it for over an hour and found out that it was a TON of smaller bushes very close together. we're done for today and i have the roots sitting in damp soil until the am when i can get them in the ground. right now i'm having to treat a sunburn b/c i was stupid and didn't put on the 50spf.

i think i'm going to put a fence panel behind my bushes to use as a lattice.

bennett

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
the property sold today for 216k.

we talked with the ppl who are now in escrow for it and they said we can dig up as much of the roses (and any other plants on the property incl. some cedar trees this fall) as we want as long as they don't die.

so at least i know if the ones we've already gotten don't make it i can try again.

CityChook

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Did you get the rose in yet? Make sure you give it lots of water.

It's nice that the new owners are being cooperative...

Latest posts