Trap Cropping

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@Ridgerunner
I have over an acre and DH doesn't care WHERE on it I garden, as long as he gets his tomatoes every year!
The horses have the other 4 acres for turnout.
I believe that buying vegetables was a very wrong idea, especially since I don't know where most of them were started. There is a little town tucked in the middle of nowhere about 10 minutes from our house and they have a spring vegetable sale, so maybe I will buy from them. But, I think I will need to start from seed from now on.
I have kept my blue dent corn harvest for seeds next year, and I think I can still harvest seeds from my green beans and lima beans.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
When applied to the roots, systemic insecticides are absorbed by plant tissue, producing plants that will be toxic to insects that feed on them.
Also toxic to other animals, Ducks'.

Don't be throwing them over the fence to either your horses or chickens!

It would probably be best just to remove the flowers and fruit as they show up.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, and more diversity in agricultural areas would really help, too. These perimeter ideas are a step in that direction.

Steve
Exactly! We see corn, then soybeans, then corn, then soybeans...it's like a dance. I keep wondering if the Monsanto police are gonna come by and rip up any corn that I try to grow!
SOMETIMES we see winter wheat and every once in a blue moon somebody will grow alfalfa for a season.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Also toxic to other animals, Ducks'.

Don't be throwing them over the fence to either your horses or chickens!

It would probably be best just to remove the flowers and fruit as they show up.

Steve
Don't plan to. I intend to burn them end of season and toss their fruit into the garbage. Thanks! I never assume to know ANYTHING!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
THIS is the ONLY possible way for me to try to get a good squash harvest.

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated!

plant buttercup squash and rumbos and for zucchini plant the trombonicos. i don't really care much for zucchinis so haven't tracked down the trombonicos to replace those. we have squash bugs and borers but have not had much trouble with bugs eating them for some reason. perhaps you are growing different kinds of cucumbers than we have been (Burpees which get huge and then the pickling ones which stay smaller). and we have had plenty any year we've grown them.

no poisons needed. we will be rotating our squash planting place this season because we've had squash in the same spot for many years and it could use a break - even with that we still got a harvest. have to put some up or cook the last of them up in the next few weeks.

Latest posts