Treats!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I also always make cinnamon rolls for Christmas. For Christmas especially, but also when the weather turns cold.
After 30 something years of making them with the sweet roll recipe grandma gave me (and always brought recipe requests), I found a "One hour cinnamon roll" recipe and tried it. My husband says he likes it better. :rolleyes: So, I guess I'm moving on and getting all modern with one hour yeast cinnamon rolls. :\

@canesisters , what is thieves oil?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's the name of a blend of essential oil. Some folks go a little nuts over this stuff - I believe that it DOES help with respiratory illness - and it is effective in the cleaner I make for around the house. I keep it going in the diffusers all winter long - especially here at work with all the snotty and croupy truck drivers. This time of year I add some orange oil and a blend called 'stress-away' to make a really nice 'Christmas-y' scent that is also 'cleaning' the air.

http://www.natural-aromatherapy-benefits.com/Thieves-Oil.html

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is no mention of putting it in bath salts!

Not that what I have tried has worked well enuf to continue. Rashes not just on hands but now on shoulder and leg. Dang dry weather ...

Will soon turn to the "magic" of prescribed steroids. Hardly a treat but it works.

Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
OH DEAR! I would NOT put Thieves in bath salts. Some of the oils in it are what they call "hot" and I would NOT want to get them on "ahem" delicate parts - even when diluted. :eek:

A nice soothing bath mix would be:
2 cups Epsom salts
1/2 cup baking soda
1/2 cup pulverized oatmeal
1/2 cup sea salt (some use rock salt but I don't think it dissolves as well)
and some add 1/2 cup powdered milk
Plus 15-20 drops essential oil - lavender is a favorite, also cedarwood oil, frankincense, geranium, the list goes on and on.

Mix all together really well and sprinkle about a cup in the bath.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fresh, hot bread is my favorite treat no matter what the weather is.
IMG_20161214_120627.jpg
I'm not saying that our approach to breadmaking accomplishes much more than "passable" results. Time-honored but you know how things and tastes change. One can look at a recipe from George Washington's time and it's just :eek:!

The bread recipe is from a 1987 Best of Sunset cookbook, the rolls are from my mom's Good Housekeeping cookbook from the 1930's! Besides avoiding risk (and heavy thought), we like to take things easy.

The dough for the rolls was in the fridge overnight. That takes quite a lot of the need for kneading outta the experience.

I had some problems with lighting but the sliced bread really is orange. DW likes carrot yeast bread. The recipe calls for nutmeg so there is a little "holiday" flavor to it. It is made with both all-purpose and whole wheat flour.

The carrots don't contribute much flavor. They, and the cooked potatoes in a potato bread, add moisture retention and keep the bread soft. It's hard to go wrong with the pulp of a cooked veggie in the dough.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A loaf of pumpkin bread was carried in frozen from the cooler on the deck. Last night, it was frozen but it had thawed. I still slipped 3 slices into the microwave to heat for my breakfast.

Back in the LazyBoy with my bread and tea, I'm looking to see what others have to say about using HoneyCrisp apples for baking.

The Michigan Apple Commission considers it to be in the top 12 so, here I go -- Google already anticipates - Apple UpsideDown Cake!

Steve :)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had my 'baking class' this weekend. It was wonderful!!!
1 regular loaf and 1 'free-form' loaf of plain bread
several dinner rolls and bread sticks of onion & herb bread
a bunch of honey wheat sandwich rolls
and who knows how many oatmeal surprise cookies
PLUS... fresh butter for all that taste-testing!

12.18 baking.jpg

Worked out some of the bugs from my 'so-so' baking. Hopefully fresh bread will no longer be a 'treat' but will be a staple at my house!

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
the treats that we look forward to is from dw family up in ny... salt rising bread and ring bologna and cheese curds all made locally in town,

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like to make "Bailey's Irish Cream" to dress up my coffee with, in cold weather. Sometimes I just sip the Bailey's straight. Sometimes I add a little more Irish to it.
Oh, and Steve, regarding the sanctity of a good cup of coffee, one of my parents' friends kept complaining to his wife that she was making the coffee too strong. One day she just served him steaming hot water, in a brown cup. He never said a word. We didn't know if that was just right for him, or if he decided to quit complaining while he was ahead.

Latest posts