Trivial

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I should look up the word origin for trivial before I use it as a title. Instead, I'll just go with it ..... ;)

The origin of the symbols we call English (or, Latin) letters were pictures. These pictures, pictographs, evolved. Some continued across cultural lines, across languages.

https://usefulcharts.com/blogs/charts/evolution-of-the-english-alphabet

Take another step and check further on Wikipedia. Your search there may just be of the English letter or on to the name of earlier symbols.

Trivial fun is to use something like initials and look back to a meaning from 1,000's of years ago. Here's an example, Dad's initials: E.R.S.

E was originally a little stick man with his arms raised to the sky :).

R was a face in profile.

S was a goad, like a shepherd's staff, used for herding.

;) Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
back to the basics.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is trivial but has nothing to do with the above :D (just remembered the thread & title). You have a chance to stop reading and look elsewhere - maybe for gardening information! None of that here ;).

When you aren't out often, things change that you don't expect and had no reason to expect. This winter, I gave up on a common route I usually take. There was all sorts of construction on it - for months! Today, I was back on that route and there were no problems ... at first.

Plenty of traffic with a car in front of me that had an engine, gettin' close to its last go-around. Stopped, started and there was an blue cloud of acrid smoke. The person who showed up behind me was driving a souped-up mustang. I decided that I'd had enuf of that smoke and turned to drive off to another arterial. The mustang driver hot-rodded on, after I'd made the turn. I thought, "Now, they will be right behind that tailpipe. That'll teach 'em!"

Okay, if you've lasted this long, here's a treat :):

Another 10 minutes and I was at one of my destinations. Not saying that I was slow making that earlier turn but olde folks with canes often cause traffic "issues." This time, I'm on a sidewalk. There is a drive-thru and an alley that I have to walk across. A lady stops her car on the street waiting for me. Oh no, this is a busy street also - "you go ahead." She turns into the alley and must have immediately seen the error of her way. Looking back, I see her backing the car up, back into the street, so that she can turn into the drive-thru 🥴 .

At my next stop, I was able to j-walk across a street without stopping a single car. Yay! 🎉.

Proceeded home and saw a Rambler. How often does one see a Rambler these days!?? Here's a picture from the web but it was even this color:

1962_Rambler_American_Conv-Red.jpg

But, the funnest part of the drive was passing a school playground. There was a little kid over in the corner behind the school sign, by himself. He had to be a kindergartener - little guy in bib overalls like his Momma still dresses him. Overalls must have had a zipper. He's peeing behind the sign, well hidden from his classmates and the teachers supervising the little folks out there ;). The problem was that he was all of about 8' from a busy street and in full view of the passers-by. 🥲.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is trivial but has nothing to do with the above :D (just remembered the thread & title). You have a chance to stop reading and look elsewhere - maybe for gardening information! None of that here ;).

When you aren't out often, things change that you don't expect and had no reason to expect. This winter, I gave up on a common route I usually take. There was all sorts of construction on it - for months! Today, I was back on that route and there were no problems ... at first.

Plenty of traffic with a car in front of me that had an engine, gettin' close to its last go-around. Stopped, started and there was an blue cloud of acrid smoke. The person who showed up behind me was driving a souped-up mustang. I decided that I'd had enuf of that smoke and turned to drive off to another arterial. The mustang driver hot-rodded on, after I'd made the turn. I thought, "Now, they will be right behind that tailpipe. That'll teach 'em!"

Okay, if you've lasted this long, here's a treat :):

Another 10 minutes and I was at one of my destinations. Not saying that I was slow making that earlier turn but olde folks with canes often cause traffic "issues." This time, I'm on a sidewalk. There is a drive-thru and an alley that I have to walk across. A lady stops her car on the street waiting for me. Oh no, this is a busy street also - "you go ahead." She turns into the alley and must have immediately seen the error of her way. Looking back, I see her backing the car up, back into the street, so that she can turn into the drive-thru 🥴 .

At my next stop, I was able to j-walk across a street without stopping a single car. Yay! 🎉.

Proceeded home and saw a Rambler. How often does one see a Rambler these days!?? Here's a picture from the web but it was even this color:

1962_Rambler_American_Conv-Red.jpg

But, the funnest part of the drive was passing a school playground. There was a little kid over in the corner behind the school sign, by himself. He had to be a kindergartener - little guy in bib overalls like his Momma still dresses him. Overalls must have had a zipper. He's peeing behind the sign, well hidden from his classmates and the teachers supervising the little folks out there ;). The problem was that he was all of about 8' from a busy street and in full view of the passers-by. 🥲.

Steve

they never put a potty in the play ground.