Trying to find that secret ingredient in Chili

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
DH has been making Chili for the past several years, pretty much bc I started growing ancho problanos and jalepanos. It's REAAAALLLLYYY good chili, not too spicy, but he isn't satisfied. There is something missing, that he seems to like, that he tastes in Steak-n-Shake chili. (I don't know what this is and I DON'T like S&S chili!!) Still, we want to figure it out.
Here are the ingredients that he uses, but I don't have his recipe's specifics:
Hamburger, 95%lean
onions
anchos
jalepanos
tomatoes (mine, canned)
cumin
chili powder
chili sauce
salt

Any ideas? ANY thoughts are welcome bc he makes chili on a Saturday, so he can lavish time and attention on it.

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Never had a and s chili, but I do make a lot. Today too! Suggestions:

Pinch of cocoa powder
Pinch of cinnamon
Spoonfuls of masa for thickening
Lots of garlic

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use a fair amount of salt, and my last batch of chili (which had quinoa and was delicious) had all the spices you mentioned plus a cinnamon stick, which comes out at the end like a bay leaf.

I've never heard of the S & S chili that you mentioned, but is there maybe some sweetener in it? Seems like sugar is added to everything these days.

I've also heard of people putting a whole carrot in, and removing at the end. Supposedly it absorbs any bitter tastes!? I've never tried it because i dont like the taste of cooked carrots and it sounded like a bunch of crap to me!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use all of the same spices (never tried cinnamon ) but some people add a spoonful of molasses to counteract the acidity of the tomatoes.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some things not in your ingredient list you might want to try adding:

Garlic
Cumin
Cilantro
Fennel
Black Pepper
Cheese

Remember, some things should not be added until served. One of the campers here is a super awesome cook. She has the cheese and onions in bowls to add after serving.

Her secret with onions is garlic! In her bowl of chopped onions is mixed in with a small amount of shaved fresh garlic. She uses a kitchen gadget to shave the garlic.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ducks', I hope you are enjoying these ideas from good cooks and about good cooking.

Some folks say that a drummer in a band is the person who likes to hang out with musicians. Yeah, I might be that guy . . . Still, I think the drummer makes an important contribution. Yet to see if I can, in anything that might have to do with cooking :).

It looks as tho' your DH is already using 3+ varieties of peppers in his chili. Dare I use the word: nuance?

I tend to be very risk-averse when it comes to most anything. There is an idea that I often use, variety with the same ingredient. To make ho-hum meatloaf special, I try to make sure that I have 3 different ground meats before I take the mixing bowl off the shelf. Even a combination of cooking methods for the same ingredient will provide subtle differences that you can taste in a forkful of a mix of things.

Chili? Varying the same ingredients is one thing but about the most radical thing I've ever done with chili was to make it with dumplings ;).

Steve

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
the cinnamon is such an interesting idea. have to try that. I would be inclined to use a fatter meat product. 95% lean is pretty bare of fat (i'm of the belief that some fats are good). fresh cilantro tied in a bundle & removed when done is good.

chili - that sounds good. I need to go to the kitchen.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
canesisters said:
spoonfull of peanutbuter/2qts of chili

don't :sick unless you try it...
:)
You all know that some of us are allergic to peanut butter ... even to the smell of the stuff. ( yea, me too ! even the mere smell of the stuff and I want to puke). :sick When our middle son attended kindergarten, his teacher sent a note home to NOT pack a peanut butter sandwich as one of the kids was so allergic to it's aroma that it would send him to the hospital. :barnie I heard on the news last week that one of the airlines will no longer serve products with peanuts in the snacks for this very reason. :ya

Latest posts