Trying to grow a lawn where lots of weeds grow, would this work?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have used cardboard in the manor that you describe to kill weeds in difficult areas, ie. near a fence and near a stone wall. The cardboard breaks down quite quickly and the more difficult weeds come back. It does help. I had better luck smothering weeds with a large black plastic sheet held down with rocks. I pulled it back a few feet at a time and tilled it. If I recall I let it rest for many months before beginning to remove it. We also use a dragon flame thrower. It knocks back the weeds but does not seem to permanently remove them.

amandacv86

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
If you know a painter or construction worker you might ask them to save some of their old plastic. Another idea is to save your old garbage bags. Those 52 gallon bags open up to, when sliced just right, something like 5 foot by 6 foot.

...and still blushing from not knowing what tia meant! :hide
Don't worry!:p I think I'll wait until next year, until I get more compost bins going. I already have 4 going and after all of them are filled I'm going to just add more bins, then just rotate as they're ready. The thing is, there is nothing really growing where I want to put the lawn until it starts raining, then all of the weed seeds germinate. I think we do get some bindweed, but the flowers are pretty so I don't mind those. We also get chickweed, filaree and miners lettuce in the fall, and two years ago when I had my last spring garden we had some purslane and lambs quarter come up next to it. Those are edible so I'd like to keep them, but in another part of the yard.I just want one area in the yard to be a nice lawn. We have some rolls of old carpet that are going to be thrown away anyway, so do you think that would work instead of plastic or cardboard? (It's free!:D) If I did this I would lay it down over fall and winter and pick it up in early spring, till it up, etc. and add seed.

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
amandacv86 said:
We have some rolls of old carpet that are going to be thrown away anyway, so do you think that would work instead of plastic or cardboard? (It's free!:D) If I did this I would lay it down over fall and winter and pick it up in early spring, till it up, etc. and add seed.
If it's indoor carpeting it may fall apart in the weather and leave you with a terrible mess to cleanup in the spring.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I gather that you live in Fresno, I lived there for many years too. There will be 2 types of weeds growing, one in cool weather, that will start to germinate after the first rains and second the warm weather types , those that will start to germinate in late Feb to May. Then, there is the ever so popular hard pan to contend with ( during the 60's the orchardists used dinamite, deep tilling rippers with D9's or backhoes to break up the hardpans prior to planting the orchard trees/ wine grapes)... varies from the soil surface to a few inches to a couple feet down. I have battled the stinging nettle for at least 10 years. The hordes of blackbirds numbering in flocks in the thausands late fall will roost on power lines or trees and spread the seeds in their excrement. From hoeing the seedlings, to rototilling the area and covering with black plastic, etc. then in desperation chemical warfare. They are still there. The best success that I have had in establishing a new lawn was first to water the area very well, then cover with black plastic for about a month. Then remove the plastic, spread several inches of horse manure ( or compost) and rototill as deep as possible that area at least 2 times to break up the hardpan, water well, then cover with black plastic for another month. Then, spread the grass seed, cover lightly with compost and keep moist for about 2 weeks, grass as well as some weeds will still germinate ( hand weed the weeds). Good lucck !

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dig it out, it's not that bad of a plant, rabbits will eat it. Well, it's a pain if you back into one or fall on one, but otherwise, not too hard to get rid of. Just do it before the seeds start!
I use branch loppers and cut big weeds down to the ground, then a spade to remove the roots. You cannot just cut it at ground level or stomp it and hope it goes away, it will grow back no matter how badly damaged.
Weeds grow where you disturb the soil. Sure, you can bury it now and pretend it's fine. With such a small weed, get thick gloves and after a heavy rain, gently grab it at the base near the ground and tug it out, roots and all.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
bobm said:
I gather that you live in Fresno, I lived there for many years too. There will be 2 types of weeds growing, one in cool weather, that will start to germinate after the first rains and second the warm weather types , those that will start to germinate in late Feb to May. Then, there is the ever so popular hard pan to contend with ( during the 60's the orchardists used dinamite, deep tilling rippers with D9's or backhoes to break up the hardpans prior to planting the orchard trees/ wine grapes)... varies from the soil surface to a few inches to a couple feet down. I have battled the stinging nettle for at least 10 years. The hordes of blackbirds numbering in flocks in the thausands late fall will roost on power lines or trees and spread the seeds in their excrement. From hoeing the seedlings, to rototilling the area and covering with black plastic, etc. then in desperation chemical warfare. They are still there. The best success that I have had in establishing a new lawn was first to water the area very well, then cover with black plastic for about a month. Then remove the plastic, spread several inches of horse manure ( or compost) and rototill as deep as possible that area at least 2 times to break up the hardpan, water well, then cover with black plastic for another month. Then, spread the grass seed, cover lightly with compost and keep moist for about 2 weeks, grass as well as some weeds will still germinate ( hand weed the weeds). Good lucck !
And then move to a different state.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since you mentioned waiting until next year to plant your lawn, you may still have enough warm season left to solarize your soil. You can google it and find detailed information, but basically you till, rake smooth, water and cover tightly with clear plastic for about 6 weeks. It will kill most weed seeds in the top few inches of the soil, existing annual weeds, and some perennial weeds. The heat won't go deep enough to kill the deep rooted perennials though. It would be a good start on getting control, then you could also lay the carpet down to smother the tough perennial weeds.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
so lucky said:
bobm said:
And then move to a different state.
... and that I did !

Latest posts