Trying to "root" thinned beets

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
On the 8th of this month, I thinned my beets that were in pots and planted the hardiest seedlings in the garden. Just to see if it would work, I took 3 of the thinned beets (no roots attached) and set them out as well to see if they would root. Going into day 3 and one of them is standing as tall as the seedlings while the other two are a little bit puny, they are still "hanging in there". Never know what'll happen, till you try it.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
True enough! Remember beet greens are delicious- so they never have to go to waste....I am really looking forward to planting and growing my beets. Had a very nice crop last year, and they are so easy to blanch and freeze. Nice to have a taste of summer, in February! Enjoy your beets!

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
True enough! Remember beet greens are delicious- so they never have to go to waste....I am really looking forward to planting and growing my beets. Had a very nice crop last year, and they are so easy to blanch and freeze. Nice to have a taste of summer, in February! Enjoy your beets!
Looking forward to them....since I've NEVER tasted one....let alone, tried to grow them.
Gonna, kinda, be a double edged sword, tho......if I don't like them will be one thing, BUT if I do like them, I'll be kickin' myself in the hind end for waiting 57 years to try them.:lol:

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, I know my mom loved beets and tried to force them on my growing up...

Let me add, I will NEVER grow beets....

or Brussel Sprouts! I just don't like them!

Asparagus and lima beans however, Mmm...Mmmmmmm

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am not all that fond of beets, I just grow them for the greens. Something easy and early for salads, pasta add-ins, things like that. Nice color addition also. :)

Ga Chicken Mom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
4grandbabies, please share your pickled beet recipe if it isn't a family secret. I put beets in this year, can't say I'm crazy about them but thought home grown would be better than store bought. We all love pickled beets though.

Bettacreek

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Good luck! I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to grow my beets. :/

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have had a LOT of trouble transplanting beet seedlings. I think you need to let them grow as big as possible before your transplant, then don't disturb the root while transplanting. I'm starting my beet seeds this weekend (inside, like everything else this year), and I'm going to put them in fairly large pots. Weeds have been my nemises in the past, but direct sow has produced beets for me, too.

Ask Hattie--she had a link that I looked at last month, but, when trying to locate through the plethora of good stuff she has posted, I couldn't--should have bookmarked it. ANYWAY, she knows a gardening site that has a bunch of 5 minute videos about growing vegetables. I particularly liked the one regarding beets--they experiemented with one crop and didn't thin. Almost all formed beets. I don't think I'm going to ever thin my beets again. :D

Latest posts