Turmeric roots available soon.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you think it would grow up here in the bay area? It may be too cool. I had tried several times to grow lemon grass and wasn't successful. But my sister gave me a plant that I divided into 2 and they are doing very well in our cool climate.

Mary

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't normally harvest the entire clump at the same time. I usually just dig down at the edge and get the piece I need. The taste is stronger if dried and ground but I often use it fresh as well. Drying and grinding takes a lot of time and you have to be careful. Anything turmeric touches gets dyed bright yellow.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Do you think it would grow up here in the bay area? It may be too cool. I had tried several times to grow lemon grass and wasn't successful. But my sister gave me a plant that I divided into 2 and they are doing very well in our cool climate.

Mary
It might improve your chances if you grow it against a South facing wall. It's a very attractive plant so it looks good in a flower garden.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't normally harvest the entire clump at the same time. I usually just dig down at the edge and get the piece I need. The taste is stronger if dried and ground but I often use it fresh as well. Drying and grinding takes a lot of time and you have to be careful. Anything turmeric touches gets dyed bright yellow.
Just as a heads up. That yellow dying characteristic plus cury gives pauce to any rental property owner when considering renting to persons from India / Asia. Extra maintenance / restoration costs to get rid of the stains and smells from kitchen cabinets, walls, carpeting, curtains, etc. before trying to rent to new tenants. ( I have a good friend that owns 11 houses that he rents to tennants... cost him extra $$$$s to rerent a house , so he has to charge more for a deposit and often has to go to small claims court to recoup on the costs incured ).

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You'd never get the curry smell out of a house where it was coked frequently . The smell does not come from turmeric but from the more pungent spices. Turmeric has a very light odor. It does stain everything it touches but if the surface it stains can take a Clorox solution it bleaches right out. Clothing is the big problem.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was looking for something last night at whole foods. I couldn't believe how many Tumeric products there are.
Don't buy it in capsule form. There isn't enough turmeric there to do any good. You can get your kids to drink it and enjoy it if you make what they call golden milk in India.
Use a smell sauce pan and tilt it so you are using only a small part. Put a tablespoon or two of powdered turmeric into the sauce pan and add enough water to form a thin paste. Set your burner on low. Let it bubble for a few minutes while stirring and add a small amount of water if necessary. Cooking it first like this will bring out the ingredients you want. Put the simmered paste into a mug and add either maple syrup or honey, then fill with milk. Put it into a microwave and warm the milk. Don't boil it, just warm it. Now stir it up and you have a delicious drink for you or the kids.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't buy it in capsule form. There isn't enough turmeric there to do any good. You can get your kids to drink it and enjoy it if you make what they call golden milk in India.
Use a smell sauce pan and tilt it so you are using only a small part. Put a tablespoon or two of powdered turmeric into the sauce pan and add enough water to form a thin paste. Set your burner on low. Let it bubble for a few minutes while stirring and add a small amount of water if necessary. Cooking it first like this will bring out the ingredients you want. Put the simmered paste into a mug and add either maple syrup or honey, then fill with milk. Put it into a microwave and warm the milk. Don't boil it, just warm it. Now stir it up and you have a delicious drink for you or the kids.
Well know, I may have to give that a try! I have been using capsules and not seeing much improvement. Thanks, I always learn so much here. :)

Latest posts