Turnips?

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So my neighbor suggested she likes turnips when we were planning our shared garden. Well, she has got her own garden going now so I have a PILE of turnips and she shows no interest in them. Can not stand turnip greens but was wondering if the actual turnip root cand be canned? What can I do with them??

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think turnips are okay just raw with salt or dip. Otherwise, I hide them in soups and potpies :)

You CAN can them, too. Not sure how you would use them afterwards...

Do you have any chickens to feed them to? Coworkers or neighbors to share them with (besides the neighbor who got you into this fix!) or a food pantry to donate them to?

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We always ate them raw, thin sliced with a bit of salt. My mother (who steams everything) used to serve them steamed and mashed with a little butter and garlic salt. We always had to eat the greens too, but I liked them, so no complaints. I'm sure she steamed them and added salt, garlic and butter. YUM!:drool

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there, :frow

I love my turnips, especially when they are small. I roast them & eat them with duck & new peas (which you cook with lettuce) -- delicious, it's a French recipe. I think a lot of people eat their turnips when they are too large & the taste is too strong, in my opinion. :D

My duck I roast along with the turnips (& potatoes). Inside the duck I put the sloes or damsons that are the left-overs from making sloe or damson gin; I can't stand wasting them (blackberries work well too). I make a lot of these rataffias -- it cheers the Winter evenings up no end ! :lol: :gig

:rose Hattie :rose

mtn_penny

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My sis made some for Thanksgiving a year or so back and yummmm.

diced sweet potato's
diced parsnips
diced turnips
baby carrots

mix a little honey and olive oil just enough to barely coat the veggies then bake until tender.

yummmmmmmmm!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That sounds really tasty -- I want some NOW...!! It's breakfast time here & I still want some> I would add lots of fresh thyme to it though! :D

Have a good weekend :happy_flower
:rose Hattie :rose

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I hide 'em in stew. Turnips in venison stew, or any kind of game stew, is better than potatoes I think. Somehow it complements the game flavor better than potatoes. Probably would also be good with grass-fed beef.

mtn_penny

Leafing Out
Reaction score
All the turnip talk yesterday made me hungry so I went out last night and pulled a few for supper.

I boiled them until tender. Then scooped out the insides kinda like ya do for twice baked taters. mash the filling add a little salt pepper grated cheese and a few crumbled crackers. fill the turnip and bake until the cheese is melted.

they were quite tasty.

Latest posts