turnips

mtn_penny

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Now that we have eaten about all I can eat on the greens and a few of the turnips themselves it is time to harvest them all and replant something else. Now when I planted I did not expect quite as big of harvest as we have gotten as I used old seeds and did not think that they would be very prolific. Surprise we have tons so now I am stumped as this is the first year that I have had a turn out and dont know how to preserve them. Do you freeze or what?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have never grown turnips- I just don't care for them.. However, they are a root veggie and I can't see why you couldn't store them as such. I would get a bin and fill it with clean, sandbox sand and insert the turnips under the sand. I kept my carrots like this for the entire winter and lost only a couple. I do believe the turnips you see in the store have been waxed. I hope you think of something...If the greens are still good, you can blanch them and freeze them for soups and stirfry during the winter. Good luck!

firemm3

Leafing Out
Reaction score
turnips are a southern specialty all you need to do is wash them real good in cold water and blanch them for 2 minutes bag and freeze if you want turnips you dice them up into about 1/2" cubes and blanch them with the greens. when youre ready to eat them thaw then season with creole seasoning and pork cook for 30 minutes and go to town on them and no true southerner eats greens with out cornbread to sop up the pot liquor. i like'em with collards mixed in. :p:p:p:p:p

Latest posts