Two Legged Predators -- Ideas?

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Last year, towards the end of August (just about 3/4 of the way through the 'safe' growing season around here, when there were plenty of tomatoes, peppers, and zucchini -- yikes, the zucchini -- growing in our garden), I came home from work one day to find a disturbing sight.

Our garden was mushed. There were kid-sized (about 8-10 years old) footprints EVERYWHERE and they apparently didn't care whether they knocked plants down or not. The only things to survive were the caged tomatoes. The children had heedlessly trampled cantaloupes, peppers, watermelons, and our teeny-weeny, itty-bitty, super-ultra micro butterfly sanctuary. Even two of the zukes got flattened. Pepper plants were hanging, broken, there were cracked and split baby cantaloupes . . . split banana peppers . . . I don't mind admitting, I cried. And swore.

Their footprints led from the bike tracks in the gravel (where they had parked their bikes, the tire marks were VERY clear), up the steps that lead past our side garage entrance, through the garden and butterfly sanctuary, then they hopped down (we have a raised bed, I'll explain in a second), got on their bikes again, and left.

Our gardening area is outside of our fenced backyard, and is raised about 2.5-3 feet up off the ground. It extends from one side of our property line (and the neighbor's garage) about 20-25 feet long E to W, and N to S it extends about 6-7 feet from our fence. There is a paved area easily big enough for a mini-van or truck between the edge of our garden and the alley behind us. The paved parking has some gravel in it, a pretty deep collection.

Now, there are a lot of kids in our area, ranging from approximately 5 to their first year in college, and most of them are good kids. I recognize many of them, they play in the alley, traditional kid games like hide and seek and bike riding, and of course, 'hanging out' for the older ones.

I never thought, though, that any of them would be so wantonly destructive. And last year was bad enough, even though we hardly had any plants or harvest to speak of . . . but this year will represent a solid investment of $$, time and effort, and our garden will be *considerably* larger -- and with root veggies in it that we didn't have last time.

We're getting rid of the butterfly sanctuary (our darling neighbors decided to step over their side of the line and "get rid of the mess" without consulting us first! Now there's only weeds. . . ) and digging up, then amending, then tilling (again) the entire thing instead of just a third of it. We're going to put up a semi-permanent fence of some sort on our property line so that the neighbors don't get any big ideas (and to show that we're not crossing into their territory!) but what do I do about the kids?

How do I keep these 2-legged pests out of our garden? Last year, miraculously, none of the veg were stolen, but we're putting in so much more stuff this year that I can't help but feel it will be that much more tempting. I mean, I can kind of see it from their point of view, A) they're city kids and don't know (and probably don't care about) the difference between a vegetable and a weed, B) our property was vacant for 3 years (that we know about) before we moved in, and the garden space was nothing but weeds, and I'm sure the kids played in it before and C) there was a fence but it was tiny (ornamental, and only about 6" high) and the zucchini ate it anyway, so it was useless for all practical purposes.

But still.

Should I get more of the semi-permanent fence stuff and just put it around the whole perimeter? Maybe try to cobble up some sort of a gate for our personal access?

Hang out in our garage with a paintball gun? (Just kidding!)

What would you guys do to keep destructive kids out of your garden?

Whitewater

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Is this property yours? If it is, I would put up a sturdy fence. If need be you post it. That means a NO TRESSPASING sign.

In years past, I had a moron for a neighbor. He would lean over my wall and cut my bushes. :th I wrote him a letter and I told him the next time he trespassed on my property I would call the police. I told him in the note that I realized that he was trying to help but YOU NEED TO ASK ME FIRST. I left the note on his door with my telephone number on it.

However, I guess once you are a moron you are always a moron. One day I heard machinery like a tractor out front in the street. Our homes are regular city side by side so you can expect to hear things. Since this did not concern meI ignored it. Later when I went outside if found out that he had used some kind of a tractor thing to cut my front lawn. I NEVER asked him to do it. Whatever he did it tore up the turf on my lawn and left my driveway full of dirt. :he

I had had it. I called the police and an officer showed up right away. The Officer look at my lawn and said...boy whatever he did he sure wrecked your grass. We confronted him and he said he wanted to cut my lawn.

The Officer asked him if he had asked me if I wanted the lawn cut, and the dufus says NO. The Officer told him to never touch or come on to my property without my permission. He finally heard that and when he married another moronthey would write me notes of things they wanted to do to my property. :smack

Yes, they were true morons and married within their group. They were probably cousins. They moved last year. God is good. :duc

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've had lots of trespassing issues with kids too... I have found nothing that works. We used to have a no trespassing sign up, but they come on the property anyways. We have a fish stocked pond and they come through to get to the wooded area to fish. However, its private property and I tell them they can't fish our pond.

Until I put up a fence, I KNOW there is absolutely NOTHING I can do about it. I even call the sheriff, and they never come out to do anything about the trespassing anyways.

Sorry, fencing seems to be your only option.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know it can be expensive- but fencing is the way to go. If someone opens a gate, or hops a fence, they can't "pretend" they didn't know it was private property. I had my bee hive outside of my fenced in area and vandals tipped it over. I was so angry I swear I saw stars!!! To see all that beautiful work done by the bees ruined- I am so sorry my bees aren't aggressive (would be fun to imagine they got stung.)

I was lucky and got a huge amount of commercial grade chain link fencing at a garage sale- for 50.00!!! I used landscaping ties as my posts and hammered in staples to hold the fencing. It is not the most beautiful thing- but it keeps everybody out- including the hungry deer...It really lets me sleep better at night! Good luck!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
P.s. - As far as expensive... I know it is! :lol:

I found a forest of Bamboo we're going to try to make our own, and then line it with wire. Just an idea to help with cost.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I got a 15lb rooster that for some reason tolerate adults but hate kids. Wanna borrow him? He will change their minds REALLY quick kind of like rock salt did when I was a kid.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Set up a game cam...identify the little brats...and file a lawsuit against the parents for damages. The parents will end your prob and word will "get around"

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food said:
I got a 15lb rooster that for some reason tolerate adults but hate kids. Wanna borrow him? He will change their minds REALLY quick kind of like rock salt did when I was a kid.
:lol: We had one of those guard roosters. He was a beast... the only one he would not attack was me :D

A friend of mine put up a 'Beware of Dog' sign and a fake dog house, worked like a charm.

Probably a fence with a no trespassing sign is your best option, although personally, I would like to meet the kids... and their parents ... :/ ... if you could identify them.
I also would report damage to police. It helps police to know areas where kids are causing problems.

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
O that is too bad! I would have been super mad!

It sounds like they did it on purpose, so I think fencing is the only option. Maybe with an electric wire run around the top - to discourage jumpers.

But hey! this is a great excuse for a potager!