Two Legged Predators -- Ideas?

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Go get yourself a beehive,plop it down in the middle of your garden or nearby and put a sign up telling people not to trespass as there is a hive full of stinging insects.
They actually sell those signs online.
You could even put up an empty hive but I would get bees, its a cool hobby and it will help your garden.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
So sorry to hear that. I would have been pretty torn up too! So far I've not had any trouble with 2 legged pests, just dogs mostly.

So true the poem, "good fences make good neighbors". I am putting up fencing this year too, because my nerves can take no more. I much prefer to be able to talk to people like normal human beings, but I've found most people, especially people in my generation or younger, have very little respect for other people or their property. I don't bother anymore. I just do what I can to protect my own interests as quietly and peaceably as possible.

Some good fencing is actually a reasonably priced investment in your own sanity!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
(I like Natalie's idea :clap!)

The source and original meaning of the word "garden" is that it is fenced land. I know - sometimes it isn't quite enuf :rolleyes:.

I once had a garden on a vacant lot across my alley. The neighborhood kids, during the 2nd or 3rd year I was gardening there, decided that they wanted to share it as a bike racetrack. When I told them that, no, a track through and around the garden was not acceptable - they did it anyway.

There was a larger vacant lot across that road and there was even an impromptu bike track about 100 yards distance. I don't know if there was any problem with these kids using those locations. Certainly, the streets were in constant use.

When I stood at the edge of the garden with my finger pointing the way O-U-T one day, I got a very disrespectful response from the oldest boy in the group. He was about 12. I very nearly lost my temper :somad.

Back to the house I went - found the property-owner's name and telephone number and went off to the mother of 1 boy and the grandmother of the other 2. "I have permission to use that lot for a garden. If your boy(s) want to use it for some other purpose, you will need to call that person."

No doubt, the parents realized that I was "steamed" and the boys were grounded. Their punishment was actually more severe than I had intended. A few days later, I talked again to the parents and told them that no great harm had been done to the garden. The boys weren't around during that conversation but they may have learned that I wasn't setting myself up as their enemy. I never had any trouble from the 3 again.

Now, the alcoholic that lived next door to that garden was a different story. Why oh why, do people who drink too much often think that alcohol excuses their bad behavior? :tongue Even in their sober moments, they seem to harbor that delusion.

Steve

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Another vote for the fence. You could try talking to the parents, but sometimes that does more harm than good, if the parents feel (as they so often do in these modern times) that the sun shines out of Junior's behind.

Used to have a neighbor whose toddler liked to come in our yard to pick flowers. You know, the really expensive flowers that we had paid a landscaper to install. Her favorite were my beloved mass-planted tulips. Her parents thought it was SO CUTE! :rolleyes: to see their little darling rolling about in beds of carefully-planted tulips, covered in dogwood petals from her springtime shredding of my dogwood tree. When I complained, "she's just a bay-bee! It's just some stupid flowers! Everyone likes flowers! You were a kid too once!" Yes, and when I ran into a neighbor's yard uninvited, I got my hiney paddled for rudeness. Plus, my mother would have died of embarrassment and offered to pay for any damage I had caused, but that is apparently a thing of the past now.

I replaced the landscaping with hollies, junipers, other thorny things. That worked pretty well. If you can install a fence, and then along the fence put really thorny hedges (rugosa roses, holly, pointy evergreens, hawthorn, sea-buckthorn), that helps a lot.

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lavender2 said:
Grow 4 Food said:
I got a 15lb rooster that for some reason tolerate adults but hate kids. Wanna borrow him? He will change their minds REALLY quick kind of like rock salt did when I was a kid.
:lol: We had one of those guard roosters. He was a beast... the only one he would not attack was me :D

A friend of mine put up a 'Beware of Dog' sign and a fake dog house, worked like a charm.

Probably a fence with a no trespassing sign is your best option, although personally, I would like to meet the kids... and their parents ... :/ ... if you could identify them.
I also would report damage to police. It helps police to know areas where kids are causing problems.
"A friend of mine put up a 'Beware of Dog' sign and a fake dog house, worked like a charm." :gig What a great idea! :thumbsup

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
A fence is your best option.The cheapest would be T-posts and wire fencing.Just set the posts in concrete.

We did a chainlink fence around our entire property up to the sides of the house.It is right inside the property line.I would have liked a front yard fence too,but dh said no.

Anyway,it is so nice to go out in the yard and know that no one but a few critters will come into the yard.No more teens cutting through,or hanging out in the back woods.

Plus once we put up the fence there was no question as to where the property line was.We did a survey,and I had markers put in every 10-20 feet before the fence went up.Before that neighbors disputed the *lines*,and cut the grass 4 feet into our property right past the property line markers.

If you can do the fence yourself you will save a lot of money.We paid to have ours done.I would have liked a new driveway or siding,but in the end the fence gives me more peace of mind.

Whatever you decide to do I hope you have a bountiful harvest this year!

I wanted to add that stinging nettle strategically placed can also deter tresspassers.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Two points! When a friend decided to set up a woven wire fence running 100's and 100's of feet, I suggested using t-posts in concrete for some (not all) of the posts. She was happy with saving some money she said, after the job was done.

2. Funny how property lines can move. When I was out one morning putting in a brick corner post, the husband of the next door neighbor came out with his tape measure. He claimed that his other neighbor had a survey done and his property line was true. I didn't believe that for a moment. Anyway, the guy claimed that my post was 2 inches on his side!

He didn't ask me to make any changes and I was able to show that the post lined up perfectly with the existing fence - a tired, old-style wire fence with t-posts. Those posts turned out to have been set in concrete.

I replaced that fence a year or so later because his kids were pushing it down and climbing over it. I told this guy that I wouldn't ask him for any money, would set back the new fence 2" - IF he would take responsibility for removing the old wire fence which would then be entirely on his side.

For whatever the reason, he couldn't get 2 of the t-posts out. After another year or so, he and I are standing around talking and he points to the fence and says, "Of course, that fence is 2 FEET on my side." The neighbor lady asked him to leave that year and he now has new neighbors :), who he's tormenting, I'm sure.

Those 2 t-posts haven't gone anywhere. If there is ever a question about the property line in the future . . . ;)

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
My dad used to paint this metal marker (not sure WHAT it marked) neon orange. It showed where 4 property lines met. For the longest times all 4 owners were friends OR got along. Now there is a woman who lives on the SW corner and torments her neighbors to the north with efforts to steal the property line by inches and feet. She mows it, throws yard debris on it, and plants perennials on her neighbors land. They are considering putting up a fence--I say GO FOR IT!! I asked DH (atty) what they could do. He said to get it surveyed, and give everyone a copy. A wooden fence would definitely "make good neighbors."
My neighbor to the South of US is probably the best neighbor we have ever had. There is a small strip of land that belongs to us, is flanked by farm fields, S & W, and is supposedly meant for a "fire lane." Said Neighbor cleaned it up several years before we bought our property, and loves to mow it and let his grandkids play on it. I DON'T need it--I have 5 acres to maintain--and DH and I are happy to let him use it.

IF he ever moves, I will put up an electric fence on it the next day and graze a horse on it.

old fashioned

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
I'd also include the motion detector siren & a recording shouting "OFF MY PROPERTY OR I'LL TELL YOUR MOTHER!" or to call police. :lol:
Okay on a more serious note here.....

A good fence, prickly bushes or stinging nettle are good too. Only problem here is that you'd have to contend with them also. OUCH!

Another option is next time you see any kids out in the neighborhood is to ask them if they know who did it. They will probably give you the wide innocent look & say no. But then tell them of all the expense & hard work you put into it & wouldn't want that to happen again this season. Be sure to include a comment that if it did happen again, you will start knocking on doors & make the parents of the guilty parties pay for damages both $ costs & work to replace it.
You could also mention these points to the parents now before the season is in full swing as a kind of pre-warning.

You could also tell the kids you'd be willing to offer $10 or $20 reward for any & all names of offenders. Kids like having money & are more likely to rat out their friends.
Atleast with these you can still come off as friendly & I find people are more cooperative when I'm nice to begin with. Kinda like the old saying of "you can catch more flies/bees with honey than vinegar"

Good luck!

Latest posts