type of wood to use for raised beds/retaining plants?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i know painting them light blue attracts ladybugs! but i tend to like a slightly darker blue if i'm going to paint them anything.

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
But surely you could paint some stakes light blue to attract ladybugs ;) I know we have more than enough ladybugs out here, they're all camping out in my house this winter.

I think I'm going to go red with my beds. Our farm colour is burgandy red and all of our pasture gates are red, etc.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
And remember- if you just want raised bed, so you can use better soil, etc. you don't need to surround it with anything. I do have a couple raised beds with wood around them- I use landscaping ties, but for the most part I just plant in the dirt. If you trim around the beds, it looks really nice. Enjoy!

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ladyhawke1 said:
I use two 2" x 6" x 8' redwood boards. I get it from HD and it is about $10.00 each. They also will cut it for you at no charge. I have them cut it in half and that amount will make a 4' x 4' bed. For me it is worth it. No muss and no fuss. They do the sawing and the wood will not rot.

I have heard that you can use linseed oil to preserve the color. I am too lazy to do that. I figure that if I have to stand on my head that long I might have to call an ambulance. :ep
Linseed oil you say?

I wonder, has anyone tried this? What's the average life span? Is it worth it? Any other natural finishes that would work?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've heard you use it on the wood handles on tools. i didn't think that it could be used on wood planks/boards.

i'd prefer the wood surrounding most of my planting areas. my dh would take the plants out with the mower if they weren't well defined. and burring it part way in the ground would be to keep my mint plants in check! :p those things can go trough, under and almost around anything!

Latest posts