Typing on my new PC

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My husband is a "computer guy", so he'd totally know what you were talking about. Although it's not technically in his job description, he is the "computer guy" around the plant where he works and does a lot of IT stuff for them. Then co-workers are always asking him to fix their computers for them, so there's always random computers and parts lying around here (in my way, ha). Now if I can only get him to work on mine! We bought it in 2007 and are running Vista. It runs ok, just slow. Needs more RAM, I think. I bought a terabyte drive to store all my pics and videos, but I've about filled that up too.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My husband is a "computer guy", so he'd totally know what you were talking about. Although it's not technically in his job description, he is the "computer guy" around the plant where he works and does a lot of IT stuff for them. Then co-workers are always asking him to fix their computers for them, so there's always random computers and parts lying around here (in my way, ha). Now if I can only get him to work on mine! We bought it in 2007 and are running Vista. It runs ok, just slow. Needs more RAM, I think. I bought a terabyte drive to store all my pics and videos, but I've about filled that up too.

If you're running Vista 32 bit, you're limited to 3G RAM. You can install more, but Windows 32 bit won't be able to use it. In fact, 2 gig RAM in Vista is more than enough, and will rarely bottleneck a machine. You can check your performance meter and see how much RAM you are actually using. Remember too that adding RAM will decrease the hard drive space available because Vista will automatically increase the Paging File size unless you go into settings and disable it. Post a screen shot of the meter and I can tell you if you don't know how to read it. Obviously, if you're running a virtual machine as well, you would need more RAM, but you would still hit the 3 gig ceiling. Most average users rarely, if ever, run a virtual machine. I would venture that most people don't even know what a virtual machine is.

Several things can throttle a computer. Excessive running processes, fragmented drives, etc...will all contribute. A very common problem is excessive programs starting with Windows. It seems every software developer wants their program to start when Windows starts. Even if you're not using the program, it still takes up system resources. Modern software also tends to slow older machines because it's written with modern hardware in mind. Since you have a 1T drive, is it the only drive, or just a storage drive? If Vista is installed on that drive, is it in it's own partition? If not, it will run slower because of the time it takes to "hunt" the large drive for the files it needs. I always recommend installing Windows on a separate partition, or a separate drive completely. However, when you do that, you must be careful when you install new software and not install it on the boot drive/partition. This helps Windows keep all of it's files in one place.
Having lot's of pics and videos isn't a problem, if they are stored properly (ie, not on the boot drive).

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
My grandson will be starting his Junior year in high school this coming Monday. Yesterday, he started on his College AA degree courses in computer science. He will be taking his normal High school courses every morning, then at 12 noon students from 5 High Schools that qualified for this program will be bused to a Computer Lab for computer studies until 3:30 then bused back to their schools. Upon graduation he will have his High School degree as well as his AA degree. :celebrate

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is all mostly Greek to me, as well. I'm still plodding along on my old Mac while my new model sits unused right next to me. I'm waiting for the next tax season to put it back into service as doing taxes was my sole purpose in purchasing it last year.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My husband would totally understand what you're saying. I'll have him take a look. I did go look at the system info and found I have a 64-bit system with 4.0 GB RAM. He's mentioned before that he'd like to put more RAM in and a bigger hard drive. I don't expect that he'll ever get to it though. I'm pretty close to just buying a new machine. Here's hoping they've got it all figured out this time with Windows 10. Ha.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am happy I know how to email. My Toshia laptop developed a mind of its own. When I type it can jump anywhere mid sentence, it will double type a letter by its self, and it will shut down any time it feels like. I think its about 3 years old was told ancient it computer years.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last Wed. afternoon, our grandson was issued a state of the art computer plus the latest and badest software by the school valued over $5,000 to use for his classes. He has his nose in it non- stop now ! :caf

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maverick got a school issued I-pad when he started seventh grade two years ago. Much of his school work is done on it. (and still there is room to add a few games). Gypsy is now entering seventh grade and is, perhaps, more excited about getting that I-pad than reuniting with friends.

Me? I am considering purchasing Maverick's "old" laptop. We bought it for him a year ago Christmas and he's saving up for something better for playing games. It seems there are computers and there are computers. He is into graphics.