Uhhh oops?

ChickenMomma91

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I bought a packet of black seeded simpsin lettuce in April 2012. Just noticed it needed to be used by December of 2012. I tried to start the seeds twice now before noticing the exp date. should i just toss the seeds in my compost that i plan on starting or keep trying?? Its been five weeks since i started the last batch

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why don't you try to germinate some in a damp paper towel put in a baggie? I have lettuce seed in the freezer that is 12 years old that is still viable. Lettuce seed should come up in a week at the most, I would think, particularly indoors where it is warm. You aren't covering it too deeply, are you?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lettuce should hardly hit the mix before it germinates at room temperature (link).

Still & yet, I don't think seed dies quickly. However, it's not quite like strings of mastodon DNA dug out of a Siberian swamp but it can be around for awhile.

It loses viability by stages of decrepitude .... that's a word, right. For something like lettuce, with room temperature seed storage, it wouldn't take too long. It gets too decrepit to rise above the soil. My lettuce seed seems to call it curtains about the same age as onion seed.

Steve

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'd still give it a shot. Most places/industries use expiration dates as a "eh, you should probably use it by this date" flag, but it's not a hard rule. When it comes to seed I'd put it on a paper towel in a Tupperware and see what happens.

ChickenMomma91

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
As well as the lettuce, all my herbs except lavender cause i bought it this year joined my compost. So i bought new ones today :-D and new lettuce of course

Latest posts