Underground Sprinkler

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
About 3 years ago I hired a company to install underground sprinkler system at country house. I did not have many choices of company's to choice from. I went with one with best website. It was very expensive I deal with the owner. He comes spring to turn on system and fall to turn off. I would like to add electric to new garage. My electrician told me garage is to far from house for over head wires he wants to do underground. I am worried about cutting into water lines and called sprinkler company for a map or blueprint of my system. I was a little surprised when owner said there nothing on paper its all in his head. I have learned over the 3 years he is a little scatter brained. Is it normal after spending thousands of dollars not to get a map of underground water lines? I never thought about this when being installed.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Call "JULIE" or 8-1-1 or whoever in your state/local area that flags where ALL electric/gas/water lines exist. If you don't like this guy's work, find somebody else. We moved in our country house with the lines To the house buried, but the lines to the barn were overhead. Stupid, "Alpo" horse pulled the rickety electric pole down, so I had my electrician bury lines to the barn, too.
Best thing, ever! We didn't know that we had access to natural gas until we were flagged, so we switched our boiler over to natural gas and now our generator runs out that whenever we lose our power and we don't have to make runs to the gas station like others, or use propane, which I was never sure was a safe option.
Keep us updated!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ducks you are so lucky, this spring kennel was on generator for 4 days. Was 3 trips a day to gas station. I don't know if they can find rubber water lines. Sprinkler man told me " oh if they cut a line not the end of world I can repair it" My reply was are repairs free ? Nope.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ducks you are so lucky, this spring kennel was on generator for 4 days. Was 3 trips a day to gas station. I don't know if they can find rubber water lines. Sprinkler man told me " oh if they cut a line not the end of world I can repair it" My reply was are repairs free ? Nope.

i don't know if they can find those lines or not. i was daydreaming of how to do it, like putting a small styrofoam ball on a thread and then flowing water through the system to an open nozzle one at a time and pulling a bigger string and then a length of copper wire so it could be detected. would take hours/days to do. then i was thinking perhaps a water solution that could conduct electricity but would have to be flushed out, but could do it all at once. hmm... good thing i don't have to do this for a living, i'd still be daydreaming...

well at least next time you know to make sure "MAP" is part of the specifications for the job and don't pay whole thing until "MAP" is delivered. i'd tell him you'll give him a negative rating and tell people to avoid his work. but if he's close to retirement age he may not care anyways. never know with some people. not a nice guy.

i'd give him a mean look for sure and poke pins in a wax doll and pray that he gets fleas, lice, bedbugs and ticks. let him do the scratchy dance. light match to his wax feet too maybe his toes will get fungus.

DON"T MESS WITH ME... aka i got bad juju...

(can you tell i drank coffee this morning? sorry @Nyboy i'm having fun here, nothing too serious meant by most of this last parts... :) :) :) )

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
NYboy, just have the power line people trench a direct line from the power source to wherever you need the electric line to be buried. :) If they cut the sprinkler pvc line.... NO BIGGIE at all !!! Simple a repair as can be. Just buy a couple of pvc couplers , a section of pvc pipe, some pvc glue, then cut the old broken water line at a point that is not damaged with a hack saw and cut the new piece of pvc pipe to leangth desired to fit. Then cover with dirt ... good as new. :weee :thumbsup

Latest posts