Unfinished Compost

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My poor compost pile is "Raised by Wolves" :lol: I pile it and forget about it, I put on what I have when I have it w/o any consideration for % of green, or % of brown or anyother thing, so needless to say mine takes a while and I usually end up using it unfinished.

I am going to try and use some Korean Natural farming ideas and bokashi ideas to see if I can reform my bad composting ways.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I do the same thing. There are other parts of my garden that demand my time other than fussing with a compost heap. I rarely wait till the composting is complete. When it is about 50% broken down I just use it as mulch.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well today I added my compost to the bed. Right now it is just laying on top. Tomorrow, I will sprinkle some organic fertilizer 5-5-5- and then turn it under. I'd say it was about 90% done. I think it will be ok.

Mary

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Once the worms and other soil life go to work on it, it will finish breaking down in no time. I alternate the rows of veggies in my garden with a piled row of rabbit manure when I have enough of it. I can pull back the manure and the ground under it is swarming with worms.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is not just that it will break down but you will spread it out. It's not concentrated. If it is anywhere close to 90%, it will be fine. Too much unfinished organic matter can tie up some of the nitrogen in the soil. That's why you don't want it concentrated. But don't over-think it.

I have a lot of unfinished compost in my soil all the time. It's organic matter that has not yet rotted or been broken down. This organic matter might be last years mulch that has not yet totally broken down or even this year's mulch, bits and pieces of last years plants or vegetables that did not make it to the compost heap or chickens, maybe parts of dead bugs or such, or even weeds that I pull and just throw down. Some comes from the part of my my compost that is not totally broken down when I use it. I guess bird or insect droppings count. There is always going to be something there. The soil is healthier that way.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am a lazy composter, but my compost is always "finished". I am able to accomplish this, because I have two piles. I use one for a year, and then cover it over with a bit of garden soil. Let it sit for a season. By then, it is all compost. In the meantime, I begin to fill the neighboring pile, and repeat the process. I have to say, every time I dig into that pile for some compost- I stand in awe of mother nature! Compost is magical!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't really know the answer to your question. However we have a large vegetable garden about, 90X90.We put horse and chicken manure, and truckloads of leaves and then till it in as early as we can in the Spring . We have 2 composters and save the compost for the most needy usually the strawberries. It has always worked for us.We just could not make enough compost for all the gardens in any other way.

Latest posts