Unique Chives

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know what kind of chive this is? I got them from someone a couple of years ago and have just enjoyed their beauty without knowing the name. The actual chive part looks like normal chives. But the flowers are as you can see beautiful in comparrison to your traditional chive. I look forward to finding out what they are from some experts!

8199_chinese_chive_and_hosta.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have some like that- which are not really chives.. they are alliums. A type of onion for sure. Mine turned out to be quite invasive. I let a couple of them grow, but they took over a small garden- so I pull most of them. They have a tiny bulb. I am sure you could use them as you would a chive. They don't grow in a mound like the chives do...

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
oooo....good to know. I have had them for a few years and they are not really spreading. Maybe it is where they are located and I just got lucky! I never have actually eaten them as I have regular chives that I use when need be. I also have Chinese Chives? (flat leaf) that I don't use either, but they are pretty. Thanks for the id! Hope you are enjoying this beautiful day. :D

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really kind of let mine go. They are in one of my first garden areas- that I planted many years ago. Maybe you won't have the problem- but that area looked like "onion grass" there were so many of them! We have been having beautiful summer weather- hope you are in Maine too! It has been very dry-so we spent the weekend running more hoses for irrigation- and this morning it rained like a sun of a gun!! Never fails! It is better than a rain dance!

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
lesa said:
I really kind of let mine go. They are in one of my first garden areas- that I planted many years ago. Maybe you won't have the problem- but that area looked like "onion grass" there were so many of them! We have been having beautiful summer weather- hope you are in Maine too! It has been very dry-so we spent the weekend running more hoses for irrigation- and this morning it rained like a sun of a gun!! Never fails! It is better than a rain dance!
Isn't that the way! We are having a pretty nice summer weather wise. (other wise as well) Not too hot, not too much rain, but some rain. At least you are now ready for the next time there is a little drought. What I would suggest is to at that time, go out and just stand by your irrigation hoses, pretend like you are going to do something with them, and then wait for a few hours before turning them on! :lol:

Latest posts