Unlucky Penny

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My brave, silly and comforting dog Penny is having problems with her back leg/hip. We have an appointment for Wednesday but the vet is not allowing people in, they just come to the car and get the animal. We will have to tell them on the phone about her symptoms.

She began favoring her leg about a month ago, limping a little when she first got up to walk. After walking for a brief time, she would stop limping. I thought it might be arthritis in her hip. She is at least ten, maybe as much as 12 years old.

But now the limp is getting worse. She can hardly get up by herself, and hesitates to go down the two steps to where her food and water bowls are. She kind of walks on her tiptoes, if that is possible for a dog. She sleeps a lot more than usual, too.

Her groomer said she has lost a lot of muscle in her back end, and wanted to know what the heck was going on with her, last week when she was there.
Hopefully we will find out what is going on, on Wednesday. I'm going to video her getting up and walking, to show the vet. I'm hoping it is just arthritis, not a tumor or something. Keep your fingers crossed for us.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's such a worry. Have you tried a little turmeric in her food?

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My brave, silly and comforting dog Penny is having problems with her back leg/hip. We have an appointment for Wednesday but the vet is not allowing people in, they just come to the car and get the animal. We will have to tell them on the phone about her symptoms.

She began favoring her leg about a month ago, limping a little when she first got up to walk. After walking for a brief time, she would stop limping. I thought it might be arthritis in her hip. She is at least ten, maybe as much as 12 years old.

But now the limp is getting worse. She can hardly get up by herself, and hesitates to go down the two steps to where her food and water bowls are. She kind of walks on her tiptoes, if that is possible for a dog. She sleeps a lot more than usual, too.

Her groomer said she has lost a lot of muscle in her back end, and wanted to know what the heck was going on with her, last week when she was there.
Hopefully we will find out what is going on, on Wednesday. I'm going to video her getting up and walking, to show the vet. I'm hoping it is just arthritis, not a tumor or something. Keep your fingers crossed for us.
I left a post for you below just trying to work out how to use this site. For pain I use turmeric but as for the back muscles I don't have a clue and wish I did as my dear old boy is going through the same thing. Swimming would be a good idea but we're all on lockdown so that would be problematic for us, but hopefully you may have somewhere you can take your dog to exercise by swimming

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Curious to know too, as DH's Dog have much the same problem! He was 12 May 6th. So far we have chalked it up to old age. HE is past a vet visit shots, etc...DH procrastinates. :(

Latest posts