unrelenting cold and snow, Northeast

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are right about snow being better than a heavy freezing rain. We had a bad freezing rain in 2009 here. You can still see the damage to the trees from that. There is a large tree in the pasture field across from my front porch that died because of that storm. It hasn't fallen over yet but I often see hawks or vultures perched on top. I even say a large owl mid-morning up there which surprised me because of the time of day. A few weeks back there was a bald eagle perched up there, but I've only seen it once.

I have been lucky so far this year. If the forecasts are right I'll dodge a bullet again this time. If the forecasts are right.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, I am pretty sure Spring will come...just not sure when!! Spent the morning raking snow drifts off the roofs of the storage buildings. Windy, zero degrees- snow blowing in my face. What 's not to love??? Had 2 chickens die this week. Not sure why, but, the cold can't help. Counting the days....

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We're forecast to have a couple of nights below freezing, but nothing like all of you are experiencing. At most I will be inconvenienced having to bring the tomato/pepper/eggplant starts that have been hardening off back into the greenhouse now that they have doubled in size.

Our agarita bushes are starting to flower and it looks like there will be another bumper crop of berries this year. Our spring has begun... may it speed your way! My countdown: 24 days until the hummingbirds arrive!!!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
10 storm.jpg
13 storm.jpg
White out in Mattapoisett

Latest posts