UPDATE: Got the herbs in their pots and I'm EXCITED....

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
cross off any winter squash, pumpkins, or watermelons. They take a lot of space.
You can get mini versions of all these things and grow them on a trellis to save space. For melons, I use Collective Farm Woman melon. They only get the size of a softball and the vines don't take over :D

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If you're looking for a "sure-fire success" plant, for me those plants are pickling cucumbers (which are just as good FRESH, by the way) and Zucchini.

Last year I planted in produce picking baskets, and couldn't believe how well the plants did!

You'll find lots more photos and info in my posts here ... just keep on scrolling, it's all garden related! *grin*

http://sweetmissdaisy.typepad.com/sassy_sweet_notes/gardening/

Here are a few photos for you from my garden last summer:

Cuc's and Zuc's did SUPER in the baskets -- but give cuc's lots of room to climb! Mine outgrew the wire "cage" I put around the basket and grew up onto the fencing around the chicken yard.

Here are baskets with zucchini planted in them -- I got the baskets at Hobby Lobby ~$2 when baskets are on sale.
6a00d8341c2d2753ef0134828d3e13970c-800wi

6a00d8341c2d2753ef0133f057152e970b-800wi

I used the smaller sized baskets for flowers.
6a00d8341c2d2753ef0134840c96c7970c-800wi

If I can grow food in small containers, you and your hubby can too! :D

Container plants can't take a lot of neglect, tho, so be diligent about your attention to their water needs.

EggsForIHOP

Leafing Out
Reaction score
SweetMissDaisy said:
IF you plant corn for the kids to see how it grows, I'd suggest planting it in a circle, not in a row. A row will find it difficult to stay upright in wind.... planted in a circle will give each stalk support from it's neighbor.

You might consider the three-sisters style of planting (aka companion planting), and surround your corn circle w/ beans and squash.
I LOVE THIS IDEA AS WELL! I think I shall give Chloe her own pool and that's what we will do with it! The kid won't eat the beans or squash, but it will at least be fun for her (she's a really weird, picky eater). It's like crop circles in reverse and the only aliens are the kids!

We LOVE okra...I was hoping that would do okay too...kinda fun to get some fresh that isn't huge, or woody like the frozen stuff at the store, ya know?

EggsForIHOP

Leafing Out
Reaction score
OOOHHH!!! PATTY PAN SQUASH!!!! I remember my mother growing those! They ARE fun! I bet she still won't eat it...it's green...she doesn't do green...and white can be touch and go....but I'll look for some of those too! Right now hubby is shoveling dirt out of the truck bed into the pools...I'm printing coupons for Houston Garden Center and making a list :) See...fun stuff....I've decided this shall be about quality and not quantity...THIS YEAR...if we find something we are good at growing then maybe next year we will go for it....what else is entertaining to watch grow and won't die easily in the heat here?

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We did the kiddie wading pool thing last year, it was a quick-and-easy solution to having too much dirt delivered, unexpectedly. ;) We grew onions & lettuce in them with no problem. Then DH was digging out the dried-out roots of some old lettuce that bolted & made a big hole in the bottom of one (they do get brittle); luckily we had enough lumber this year to make another raised bed to replace it. :D So, kiddie pools (IMHO) are obviously not permanent solutions but are relatively cheap & easy to do if you don't have a lot of time.

I won't comment on what to grow, because I'm still experimenting on growing in the South, after living years & years Up North. :/

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
My preschoolers don't eat green veggies very well. So instead of regular green zuchini, I planted golden zuchini last year. They ate it much better! This year I planted the yellow patty pan. Hopefully they will like it also. Now..if I could just find yellow green beans!:D

Mary